Question Mercury 150 HP 4-Stroke or Mercury 150 HP 2-Stroke?

I am located in southern, middle Tennessee and I am looking to replace my current outboard 150 HP motor with a new Mercury 150 HP outboard motor. I have spoken to a couple of local dealers and gotten totally different recommendations from each of them regarding whether or not I should go back with a 150 HP 2-Stroke Optimax Pro XS, or switch to a 150 HP 4-Stroke Mercury.

My boat is a 2003 Stratos 185 Javelin Series. My current motor is a 2003 Johnson 150 HP 2-Stroke.

What are the pros and cons of both motors and I wonder which one I should go with? Any advice or helpful suggestions would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

2. Member
    in a 150 id prob go with 4 strk
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by Higgy507 View Post
    I am located in southern, middle Tennessee and I am looking to replace my current outboard 150 HP motor with a new Mercury 150 HP outboard motor. I have spoken to a couple of local dealers and gotten totally different recommendations from each of them regarding whether or not I should go back with a 150 HP 2-Stroke Optimax Pro XS, or switch to a 150 HP 4-Stroke Mercury.

My boat is a 2003 Stratos 185 Javelin Series. My current motor is a 2003 Johnson 150 HP 2-Stroke.

What are the pros and cons of both motors and I wonder which one I should go with? Any advice or helpful suggestions would be very much appreciated! Thanks!
    The new 4 stroke is available as a 150 and a 150 ProXS. They don't make the 2 stroke anymore, so it would just be old inventory or something. All are good, but go with the 4S proXS, the 4 cyl 150 is bullet proof.