Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 2003 BF225 Issue

My Honda on my Triton bb has started an aggravating problem lately. Once or twice a day as I get going up tp 4 grand she sputters and lays down, my partner squeezes the bulb and all is good. My research points to the Low Pressure fuel pump. I have changed low and high filters and water sep and new bulb so far. I have no choice now except the low pump that I know of. Before I buy one is there any thing I am missing that could cause this issue?

2. Member

USA

Sounds like you need to get a new primer bulb. It did the same thing to me several years ago.

3. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Does your bulb get hard pumping it up?

4. Member
    I have replaced the bulb and it will get hard for a little while. I just tested the low pressure pump and it is holding vacuum.

5. Member
    Also the VST was cleaned about one year ago. Only thing I can think next would be the pickup in the tank.

6. Member
    Is this problem usually during the afternoon?

7. Member
    Well I never gave it any thought but yes it only happens when heading to weigh-in. Why is that?

8. Member
    i have a 2003 225 as well mine was doing the same thing everynow and then. Be running down the lake and it would just fall on its face and then pick back up. It was my high pressure fuel pump. However i am still having the same issue with the primer bulb getting soft. If you figure out that part let me know please.

9. Member
    My motor also has a rough idle until you give it a little gas and then it clears right up but the primer bulb stays soft. Primer bulb will hold pressure as long as the motor isnt started. the high pressure fuel pump did not fix that the bulb soft problem or the rough idle, only the loss of power at higher rpm's.

10. Member

USA

Have you replaced your primer bulb lately and is installed in the correct direction?

11. Member
    New bulb and correct direction. All fuel hoses replaced from tank to water separator and to bulb. Also put a brand new low pressure fuel pump on. Hope to try this weekend and can't wait to hear from HondaRay as to why this only happens in the afternoon.

12. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Guessing Vapor lock

13. Member
    Vapor lock how would you fix that? Is that on the boat side or the motor side?

14. Member
    If it were vapor lock why would just squeezing the bulb get it going again for a good while?

15. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar

16. Member

USA

Maybe a pinch or blockage in one of new fuel lines or fuel vent hose? I also don't know how you would cure a vapor lock problem in an outboard.

17. Member
    I was told by someone during a discussion on the problems I was having with my 225 that the primer bulb didn't have to stay firm. I can't remember who told me that so maybe Ray can help us on that question. My bulb pumps firm before starting but doesn't stay that way and I haven't had the problems with the motor stalling.

18. Member
    Maybe I can help with this problem. My 2005 BF225 developed a similar problem to yours. Turned out the problem was Ethanol gas. SPECIFICALLY the short section of fuel line that ran from the primer bulb to the motor (maybe two feet long) was NOT ethanol approved and the inner wall of that section of fuel line had become sort of galvanized or crystallized from the ethanol and was flaking off and clogging stuff up. An easy fix. I hope thats your issue also. By the way, all other fuel line was fine. This was on a 2005 Triton TR21X.

19. Member
    Thanks for the fuel line idea but I have checked the ones on the motor and they seem fine and there is no junk in the fuel filter that has been changed. Also the new lines to the tank have no kinks that I can see. Still waiting on HondaRay for his explanation as to why this would only happen in the afternoons.

20. Member
    Considering a Honda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast