Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    How do y’all think the 3.31 gears would be?
    I think they may would be a bit on the high side for the 6 speed trans, the 10 speed may be a different story, I think you would have to look at the gear ratios and try to form a opinion from there,

2. Member
    DO IT! You won't be disappointed. I pull my 19'er with 200hp in and out of the mountains of North Carolina with no issue at all. Avg over 13mpg towing. '13 F150 4x4 3.5L ecoboost.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
    no way is the 3.5 eco is rated 5000 lb towing without the max tow, Ford brochure lowest tow for the ecoboost is with a 3.55 gear is 9500 tw.
    My apologies, you are somewhat correct. I forgot there are 2 tow packages. Without either, you are maxed at 5000 lbs. With the standard tow package, I believe it's 9500 lbs, like you said. Max tow gets you more. On mine it's 11,200 lbs.

4. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    I think they may would be a bit on the high side for the 6 speed trans, the 10 speed may be a different story, I think you would have to look at the gear ratios and try to form a opinion from there,
    I have the 3.31 and 10 speed. Tows the boat fine, we'll see exactly how it does in June when I go out to Maine. Can always lock out a couple gears in the hills.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
    you have to put gear selector in M then use plus and minus on the stalk
    No you just have to have it in drive. Hit the + button until the numbers display then push - 6th gear will disappear and 5th gear will be highest you will shift into.

I have the 3.31. in 6th it hunts too much when towing and gets better MPG but locking out 6th. In everyday driving it has plenty of power and get a tad better mpg than my buddies 16 with that 3.5 but he has the lower gear. Hard to find many more hills and mountains than where I drive everyday!!!

6. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bronze_back_hunter View Post
    No you just have to have it in drive. Hit the + button until the numbers display then push - 6th gear will disappear and 5th gear will be highest you will shift into.
    Actually I think you hit the "-" when all gears are listed. They will disappear one at a time as you hit the "-". But that was on my '14, I haven't verified on my '18.

Quote Originally Posted by CGWright View Post
    Actually I think you hit the "-" when all gears are listed. They will disappear one at a time as you hit the "-".
    I should have said if the gears aren't showing hit the + to make them display. Then - to lock out the gears you don't want to use. I do it every time I tow unless I head South and get to some flatter terrain.

8. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bronze_back_hunter View Post
    I should have said if the gears aren't showing hit the + to make them display. Then - to lock out the gears you don't want to use. I do it every time I tow unless I head South and get to some flatter terrain.
    Are you locking out at highway speeds (anything 65 +)? Mine seemed to tow just fine, but I'm not in the foothills or anything. Did have a stout headwind the first trip and it held fine at 75 mph.

In tow haul mode it seems to lock out some of them anyhow at normal speeds (55 - 60), even when not towing.

9. Member
    thanks for all the replies.. pretty sure Im gonna do it.

10. Member
    The gear ratio is basically a non issue towing a bass boat, esp with a 3.5EB. I lock out 6th towing mine at 75+ and pulling something heavy or with high wind resistance i'll also lock out 5th. This is with a 5.0 and the EB will easily out pull it. Most all of our shop trucks have a trailer hooked to them before 500 miles with no issues. I wouldn't tow at max capacity out of the gate but something like a bass boat would not bother me in the least. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

11. Member
    I have a 15 with 3.31 Pulls my FX20 great

12. Member
    I can't seeing the gearing make that much difference when towing a bass boat. Yeah, a bigger gear will definitely perform better but my Titan with a 2.94 gear towed a Champion 198 easily. JMHO.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

13. Member
    picked up a 2017 with the 3.5 eco last week.. I haven't pulled the boat yet but so far this thing is a beast.. and im getting a little over 23MPG average... thanks to all of you..

14. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    picked up a 2017 with the 3.5 eco last week.. I haven't pulled the boat yet but so far this thing is a beast.. and im getting a little over 23MPG average... thanks to all of you..
    Outstanding, congrats. Towing is where the truck shines.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

I have a 17 F150 FX4 with 3.5. Only problem I have is forgetting the trailer is behind the truck LOL Tows my boat like a dream..Good luck
    2016 Ranger RT188
    115 Yamaha SHO

"Well done is better than well said"- Benjamin Franklin

16. Member
    I just picked up a 2015 with 30K miles and just towed the boat on Sunday.... I am impressed, as it does not even flinch towing when you give it the gas.

17. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    And if you really want to have some fun, put it in Sport mode.......
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    And if you really want to have some fun, put it in Sport mode.......
    But do this without the boat. Couldn't believe what a difference S mode makes. . This is my first 3.55. I have always had the 3.73. The 3.55 is quite adequate but the 3.73 is a horse.
    Matthew 6:33
    2020 921elite

19. Banned
    A Chevy Colorado with the 4 cylinder diesel has more torque than a EB.

20. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    A Chevy Colorado with the 4 cylinder diesel has more torque than a EB.
    And we would give a rats ass, because... ??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast