Reverse Lockout Solenoid and Truck wiring

Hi,

I bought a 17 Nitro z19 and when I got home I tried backing it in the garage adn the brakes were loading up. I had to chock wheel and expose reverse lockout to put pin in. Flat ground too.

I did some investigating and realized that my wiring on my truck which is a 7 pin does not have the center pin connected to reverse lights.

I assume if I connect center pin to reverse lights - so the trailer knows when we are in reverse. the solenoid will stop the brake fluid from going back to the brakes when I back up even the surge portion of the trailer is all the way forward. Am I right in assuming this?
    2017 Nitro

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Either a blown fuse in the tow vehicle or the backup lights on the vehicle may never have been enabled. There is a dedicated fuse in the vehicle for trailer backup lights. Some vehicles require the addition of a fuse or relay to enable trailer backup lights. Don't make connections at the back of the truck.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    You wouldn't connect them in at the tail light? Why is that sir?
    2017 Nitro

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by schlosser65 View Post
    You wouldn't connect them in at the tail light? Why is that sir?
    Modern vehicles do all sorts of things with the wiring and you can mess up things like cruise control and other functions by making a connection like that. Your vehicle has backup light wiring on the trailer connector unless it's an add-on that somebody didn't do right.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Okay. Thank youv ery much for your help Catfan. I'm just going to have my mechanic start by connecting in the reverse lights to the plug they are definitely not there currently. I will tell him I don't want them connected at the taillights. Additionally, I will tell him it may require another fuse or a relay.

Thanks again.
    2017 Nitro

6. Member
    What catfan is trying to get you to go understand is it is connected already but it is connected up front in the wireing harness. Likely a fuse blown or fuse was not installed. Tying them in at the back can cause problems in that you will be back feeding the harness. It is not a good idea. If it is factory wired it will already be connected.

Hi,

I bought a 17 Nitro z19 and when I got home I tried backing it in the garage adn the brakes were loading up. I had to chock wheel and expose reverse lockout to put pin in. Flat ground too.

I did some investigating and realized that my wiring on my truck which is a 7 pin does not have the center pin connected to reverse lights.

I assume if I connect center pin to reverse lights - so the trailer knows when we are in reverse. the solenoid will stop the brake fluid from going back to the brakes when I back up even the surge portion of the trailer is all the way forward. Am I right in assuming this?
    There are a couple of different 7 way style plugs and some of them use the center pin for reverse but not all.
    My suggestion would be to use a 12 volt tester to make sure you have power at the truck plug for reverse and determine which pin is for reverse lights and make sure it corresponds with the trailer plug.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    What catfan is trying to get you to go understand is it is connected already but it is connected up front in the wireing harness. Likely a fuse blown or fuse was not installed. Tying them in at the back can cause problems in that you will be back feeding the harness. It is not a good idea. If it is factory wired it will already be connected.
    Thanks for the elaboration. I appreciate your response.
    2017 Nitro

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    There are a couple of different 7 way style plugs and some of them use the center pin for reverse but not all.
    My suggestion would be to use a 12 volt tester to make sure you have power at the truck plug for reverse and determine which pin is for reverse lights and make sure it corresponds with the trailer plug.
    Thanks, this is solid advice
    2017 Nitro

10. Member
    I can't call my plug factory. This ford I have came with a 4flat from the factory it broke I had it replaced with a 7 pin be at the four pin and I am not a fan of 4 pin. I like the way it fits better and is easier to keep clean in my opinion. Probably doesn' thelp the issue.
    2017 Nitro

I can't call my plug factory. This ford I have came with a 4flat from the factory it broke I had it replaced with a 7 pin be at the four pin and I am not a fan of 4 pin. I like the way it fits better and is easier to keep clean in my opinion. Probably doesn' thelp the issue.
    Your truck came with a 4 wire trailer connector and not a 7 wire? Does the trailer have a 5 wire connector?
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

12. Member
    The minimum for it to work is a 5 flat. The blue wire on the boat is your reverse lockout. If it’s not getting connected it will never work. You need a 7 round plug on your truck then a 7 to 5 flat adapter for it to function.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    Your truck came with a 4 wire trailer connector and not a 7 wire? Does the trailer have a 5 wire connector?

It came with a 4 wire, yes. I had a 7 wire installes. The trailer has the 5 wire, with a 5 to 7 adapter on it.
    2017 Nitro

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hchamberlin1 View Post
    The minimum for it to work is a 5 flat. The blue wire on the boat is your reverse lockout. If it’s not getting connected it will never work. You need a 7 round plug on your truck then a 7 to 5 flat adapter for it to function.
    Yes I agree, If you read my post you see I had a 7 pin installed. The original question is will hooking up the center pin of the 7 pin round on my truck to the reverse lights solve the problem of reverse lockout and the answer to that is yes.
    2017 Nitro

15. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    You don't say what year and make truck. My 03 Ford came with the tow package. It had a package with some relays in the glove box. Had to replace a relay under the hood to make it work.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

16. Member
    Yes I agree, If you read my post you see I had a 7 pin installed. The original question is will hooking up the center pin of the 7 pin round on my truck to the reverse lights solve the problem of reverse lockout and the answer to that is yes.

Ok, if I’m following you now then yes. It should not matter where the power comes from as long as it’s there. However if your boat is a 5 flat make sure your connections are touching right. Otherwise all kinds of goofy things can happen.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnman81 View Post
    You don't say what year and make truck. My 03 Ford came with the tow package. It had a package with some relays in the glove box. Had to replace a relay under the hood to make it work.
    It is a 2013 Ford F-150 STX 4X4
    2017 Nitro

18. Member
    Also, thanks for the help everyone. It is really nice to be able to ask questions like this.
    2017 Nitro

19. Member
    Well, since the truck was not originally configured with enough wiring to allow for trailer reverse, it makes sense to add another circuit to your truck 7 pin. Exactly.