What unit for ultrex ilink?

I currently have a 1198 at the console and a 898 at the bow. I would like to more the 898 to the console for mapping and get another unit for the bow for the I link. Just need DI. Don't need to be huge. What is y'all's recommendation.

Thanks
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

If you want a current model that will share data with your two units, the smallest would be the Helix 7 CHIRP DI GPS G2N.
    Then you would have to turn CHIRP off to share sonar data.

In the 9", 10", and 12" models there is a Helix CHIRP DI GPS G2N and Helix CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G2N.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    If you want a current model that will share data with your two units, the smallest would be the Helix 7 CHIRP DI GPS G2N.
    Then you would have to turn CHIRP off to share sonar data.

In the 9", 10", and 12" models there is a Helix CHIRP DI GPS G2N and Helix CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G2N.
    Wayne what do you mean by turn chirp off to share sonar data? I don't think I need to share sonar data. Just as long as all units could share way points. I am either using the graphs at the consoles or the bow, never both. By sonar data I am thinking 2d, DI images. Am I correct on this?
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

Yes you can share waypoints.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Is there a difference between g2 and g2n?
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by JINXBASS View Post
    There are three versions of Helix 7, I'll just list the SI models:
    Helix 7 SI GPS is the first generation=discontinued
    Helix 7 CHIRP SI GPS G2=current
    Helix 7 CHIRP SI GPS G2N= current and networkable
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member

Only with the 7. The N denotes "network". All 9, 10, and 12s have network, the 7 is sold both ways.

8. Member
    I just looked at Minn Kota site and it says that a 1198 is able to link with the ilink. I know I don't know alot about this but is there a difference between ipilot and ilink.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

9. Member
    ipilot does not hook up to anything. Just its remote. Link is capable of hooking to HB fish finders with Ethernet capabilities.

10. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I just looked at Minn Kota site and it says that a 1198 is able to link with the ilink. I know I don't know alot about this but is there a difference between ipilot and ilink.
    There is iPilot and iPilot Link. The Link models interact with HB sonars and have functionality such as Follow The Contour (need Lakemaster or AC maps), Circle Mode and the ability to store and manage SpotLocks (a "special" waypoint) and iTracks on an HB unit.

I've linked my Ultrex to an 1198 a couple times. IIRC, Circle Mode and SpotLock jog aren't available on the 1198 but they are on newer units. I can use the remote for jog and if I really need Circle Mode, I'll hook up my ONIX.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

11. Member
    Ok makes sense. So to follow contours or set a course do I need another unit or can I use the 1198?
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

12. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Ok makes sense. So to follow contours or set a course do I need another unit or can I use the 1198?
    Follow The Contour works on an 1198 as long as you are using one of the supported maps (Lakemaster or AutoChart but not AutoChart Live). If you don't have the supported maps, you can make an iTrack that follows the contour you want and then have the Ultrex navigate the iTrack.

13. Member
    I use navionics. I thought I saw where this was supported. I have never used lake master. I don't think lake master has alot of the water I fish. So your recommendation????
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

14. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I use navionics. I thought I saw where this was supported. I have never used lake master. I don't think lake master has alot of the water I fish. So your recommendation????
    Navioncs is supported as a map but Follow The Contour can't (or more likely won't) use it.

Up here at home Navionics as long been the only option but there is now a Lakemaster chip for lots of Canadian waters. I'll get this chip but I have no idea if it will be accurate enough for the waters I want it for and I'm not sure if my 1198 will be able to use it. If the waters you fish don't have LM maps, you can make your own with the AutoChart software and sonar recording. But that's a lot of work.

If you're not going to use LM maps and don't care about Circle Mode (I haven't found a good area to circle yet so I haven't used it except to see how it works) then I'd keep using the 1198. If you decide you can or want to use LM maps then I'd upgrade the 1198 to a Helix or Solix. I'm going to upgrade my 1198 because it can't handle the LM HD maps for Toledo Bend and Sam Rayburn and that's where I now spend my winters.

Regardless, I'd be getting the Link version so i can store more and manage the SpotLocks and iTracks as well as being able to see the SpotLocks and iTracks on the HB (they will show up on any of the maps the HB supports).

Follow the contour ONLY works with Lakemaster HD maps and Auto Chart which is also HD contour mapping.

Lake Anna, Buggs Island, Gaston, Smith Mt. are the only Va. large bodies of water with Lakemaster coverage. There are a few electric only waters.

iPilot is GPS
    iPilot LINK is GPS Ethernet connected to a Humminbird unit.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL