Hard to start - 115 hp, 2 stroke

Engine is a mid 80's 2 stroke, 4 cyl, 115 hp. It is very hard to start. Once started restarting is not an issue. I feel like it must be a fuel issue. The primer bulb is hard. And I hear the choke engage. But don't know how to verify it. Tips, pointers or other input? One observation is the fuel smells a bit rancid. Not totally bad. Just not real fresh.
    New to me: 1981 Glastron HPV 165 w/ 110 Hp Mercury Outboard

Mischievous
    So. Utah

2. Member
    might be old fuel problem then drain it start over
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

First and foremost get rid of the old fuel. Do not try to treat it with anything.

How old are the fuel lines? If they are original, you NEED to replace them. Here is a thread for you to read about old fuel lines... http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=22490

How old are the spark plugs?

Once you have fresh fuel and good fuel iines, use this starting technique:

1. Pump the bulb firm.
    2. Turn key to the "on" position (without cranking the motor).
    3. Put Throttle into the fast idle position.
    4. Push in key and hold in for 10 seconds.
    5. Let key out and crank it.
    6. If it stalls, repeat steps 4-5 but only hold in for 5 seconds.
    7. Repeat 4-6 until is starts.

If you have clean carbs you should rarely get to step 7.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    ^^^^^^^^+1
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Thanks for the direction. I would have gotten here, eventually, but this saved a lot of ass ache. Went to Napa, shopping list in hand. Replaced everything tank to engine. Plus new fuel filter and plugs. Discovered some delamination inside the fuel line in the feed side if the primer bulb. And, the gas was crap. Tomorrow new non ethanol fuel and see what happens. Napa guys suggested Sea Foam. I have zero experience with it. I know the theory, but no experience.

IMG_20180424_212854_517.jpg

BAD GAS!!
    New to me: 1981 Glastron HPV 165 w/ 110 Hp Mercury Outboard

Mischievous
    So. Utah

6. Member
    if any fuel line particals were found in filter rebuild pulse pump id do it any way