Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hugo_stiglitz View Post
    Paint the whole vehicle in bedliner and drive it for 20 years. Wont scuff, will dent but it won't ding as easily. It takes a serious impact to cause a dent.
    There is a guy in our area that actually did that to a brand new Wrangler. Looks suprisingly good !

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    There are always spots well away from people and walking is good for you so I hear
    This!

Jeep died when Mopar parts started being added to them. I had an '89 Wrangler and a '97 Wrangler. After the awful experiences with the '97 I'll never own another one. The '89 was way more solid than the '97...I think from '97 on Jeep abandoned it's heritage and became an asphalt warrior, I mean come on a freaking 4-door Wrangler? Good grief. On top of that Jeep did away with the torque monster inline 6 and replaced it with an engine from a mini-van....a freaking mini-van motor.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdutton View Post
    I'm very cautious about where I park my brand new GMC. I'll walk clear across the parking lot to try and protect it. Came out of the store Saturday and saw the shopping cart against my truck and when I walked the 100 yards to it i found 2 deep gouges in the paint. I swear the lazy SOB'S that leave shopping carts in the lot should be strung up on Saturday at noon and left swinging until their rotting flesh or the rope breaks. Lazy bastards and shopping carts are going to send me to jail one day.
    Completely agree. I always park waaaay away from the masses. So far so good. I have seen the fat slobs, parked in the handicaped spots, open the doors and purposely kick them open into other cars next to them on their way to the electric lazy ass carts.

Quote Originally Posted by hugo_stiglitz View Post
    Paint the whole vehicle in bedliner and drive it for 20 years. Wont scuff, will dent but it won't ding as easily. It takes a serious impact to cause a dent.
    ^this!

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Davecon View Post
    There is a guy in our area that actually did that to a brand new Wrangler. Looks suprisingly good !
    I think that auto manufacturers could make a killing offering a rugged paint option on most vehicles. I can't understand why it isn't an option on at least every 4x4 made.

Put down a towel for the inevitable drool that will cover your keyboard. Yes, a 4 door can be made trail worthy and look good doing it.

http://www.dtocustoms.com/

8. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Jeep Wrangler's cost more than nice vehicles.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

9. Member
    my son asked me the other day if I was going to trade the Tahoe in soon and get a nice car. I told him I didn’t want the stress of worrying about a new car and I like driving an older car better since I’m no longer afraid to trade paint with aggressive South Florida drivers��. Something more relaxing about just driving and parking without worry.

10. Member
    Put your dogs and better half in the bucket and head for town, at your age there is no sense to be in a hurry.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    Jeep Wrangler's cost more than nice vehicles.
    Nothing holds value like a Wrangler. Nothing. And they 100% WILL sell at that price. Because they're worth it.

12. Member
    Thanks for the input thus far ...

Definitely not interested in allowing my Cadillac SRX to become more abused.
    I do park way away, we don't have spaces close anyway, and walk.
    And people still park there, because we are totally full in Florida. No room here.
    I'm short at 5'8" and small at 145#, can't get into a lifted truck.
    Plus I don't want to park the beast, not a chance. Too tight around here.

I'd love to see a law passed on shopping carts being just left out ...
    First offense - Round them up for an hour in the summer heat.
    Second offense - Tazer at 10 paces by a certified professional.
    Third offense - Banned from civilization, shop at Walmart for life.

Land Cruiser too expensive for my tastes and too large anyway.
    We need to be nimble here, spaces small, tight areas, etc.

My hiking is East Coast now, but nationally in two years.
    It won't be just Florida scrub, we are talking mountains/desert.
    Plus, currently I do the Smoky Mountains annually.

Again, my choices are most likely 4Runner or Jeep Wrangler.
    It simply must be trail worthy and able to have combat gear added.
    I'm thinking thick pipes, etc. all the way around it.

Of course, fitting my kennel into the rear is an absolute must.
    Big enough for crate plus tie downs for the heavy straps.

13. Member
    Those may look good.

An excerpt from off road.com testing a bone stock 2016 Land Cruiser.

Unlike other full-size SUVs, the Land Cruiser was not designed with an on-road bias backed up by secondary off-road capability. No, this vehicle was designed around a duty cycle that would rattle a Sequoia, Tahoe, or Armada to pieces at 40,000 kilometers. And it shows in the Land Cruiser's on-road manners.”

They are not for everybody. I know for me it’s my bucket list vehicle. Even a couple years old they can cost what a new Jeep or Runner cost. I should not test drive them.

14. Member
    For what you describe Rubicon or Trail edition Runner. You can add what ever you want to either platform. I wouldn’t rule out a used Lexus GX470 or low mileage V8 Runner if you can find one. They quit making them in 2009. Everything 2010 and up in the Runner is going to be the 4.0 V6. You have to get the Trail Edition or TRD Pro to get the equivalent or the Rubicon. The Limited has full time AWD with a Torsen locker center differential. That was good enough to get me anywhere I ever wanted to take one. For rougher stuff you’ll want PT 4WD and be able to unlock links.

PS If you’re going to far off road you’re going to tear something up. It’s just part of it.

15. Member
    A very rich kid in my town can obviously afford any car/truck he wants. But most of the time he drives a Geo Tracker. He had it line-x'd inside and out. Door dings just bounce back! Actually looks pretty neat. Maybe you should give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by basscla View Post
    Since the current vehicle has some dings now, just keep it and let them beat the Chit out of it.
    ^^^This. I have 2012 Camry with half a dozen door dings and scratches from the kids bikes and it seems like every time they walk by that car with their bat bags they smack it with the nub of their bat. I don’t even care anymore. The car has almost a 150k miles and it still rides like its new. It’s just a car or simply a tool to get from point a to point b.

17. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Bought a Silverado 2 weeks ago and the day after buying it, parked in WM and came out and behold,,,a 4 inch scrape and white paint,,,,,people just dont give a sh%t anymore.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

18. Member
    I bought a new F150 last June and I honestly baby this vehicle more than any I've owned. I waited a long time to buy a new truck and I plan to keep it new for a long time, with that being said I live in the land of limestone and there are 3-4 quarry's putting truck loads of stone on the highways 5 days per week. My solution to that was to buy a 2003 Toyota Rav4 with plenty of imperfections and that's my daily driver, I use my truck on weekends mainly for pulling my boat!

All you guys with the car door dings must've parked right next to me or my wife. Cause my daughter will rock the dog sh!t out of your rig just about every time she gets out! She's not as bad now that she's older but when she was younger we'd have to remind her every time to be careful or wait on me to open it for her. Sure enough the one time we'd forget to say something she'd look like someone on The Walking Dead trying kick off a zombie with both feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Warpig556 View Post
    Put down a towel for the inevitable drool that will cover your keyboard. Yes, a 4 door can be made trail worthy and look good doing it.

http://www.dtocustoms.com/
    I'll take one of each !!!!! Some of those jeeps are sharp ,like the Grey .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast