Leaking oil pump again!

2006 225 pro xs. 1b263101

Revisiting the infamous leaking oil pump on my pro xs for the second time. Was tempted to try the o ring fix discussed on here but think I will bite the bullet again and buy a new one.

So my question. Current oil pump part number is 857149T05 and is readily available but also there is a new part number, 8M0101629, that supersedes the current one. Anybody have any idea what the differences might be between the two oil pumps? Be nice if mercurywas to have addressed the leaking issues with some upgrades on the new pump!
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

Mercury parts have 1 year warranty. I believe they have to be installed by a Mercury tech though. How long since you replaced it?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    Bought the pump from a guy parting out a blown engine trying to save a little money. Worked great for over a year but now it’s leaking same place as the original. Didn’t give much for it so was worth a try. Oh well! Like the old commercial said, pay me now or pay me later,
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

Yeah. BTDT. I’ve found it is not always cheap to do what Don recommends but it will always be more expensive to NOT follow his recommendation!
    Last edited by 06 SB; 04-24-2018 at 09:14 AM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    Replaced my O ring last month have put about 20 hours on the motor so far all rpm ranges, and guess what the motor didn’t blow up. But on a serious note everything is fine no more leak same amount of oil consumption as my other motor, all is good. Did have oil prime done after replacing o ring
    what I did was I opened it up and if it’s something you aren’t comfortable replacing then buy a new one if it you think you can replace it and reassemble and are confidant then do that, it’s really simple. I just couldn’t see buying a new one and who knows it starts leaking in a year anyway

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Always get the latest/greatest part when you check our site (superseded numbers show in the Shopping Cart).

If you want to order or price Mercury Engine Parts or Accessories...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor