2017 250 pro xs water pressure

Another question about this. Bought the boat new Jan it 2017. Had good water pressure all season and it showed on the guage. This is on a 721 phoenix . The Guage is fed by a pressure swith. I had 20+ lbs most of last season at wot. At the end of the season it got way less and at the last event, I got a steady alarm at idle. Rev it up and it stopped. I couldn't idle for more than 5 minutes without the steady alarm sound. I installed a vessel view mobile and ran it for the first time this season. I got the dreaded steady alarm again after around 5 minutes. The vessel view showed 0-1.5 lbs at idle and 19 at wot. The stream at idle is not very strong. My motor had 56 hours on it. Could it be a bad impeller already?? Thanks Lee
    Sponsors(Eco Pro tungsten,Lews,Strike King,Gamma,Hayabusa Hooks,Mercury Pro team, Super Stick push poles,VFX Custom Wraps, BuckNBass,TackleWarehouse,Elite Rod Sleeves,Bobs Machine Shop, JB Custom Rods,Reynolds marine, BassFishinElectronics )

2. Member
    yes or gasket on w/p plate blown,clean strainer for compressor also, check poppet for debri stuck open
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Thanks, I have a waterpump kit. Will check others also.
    Sponsors(Eco Pro tungsten,Lews,Strike King,Gamma,Hayabusa Hooks,Mercury Pro team, Super Stick push poles,VFX Custom Wraps, BuckNBass,TackleWarehouse,Elite Rod Sleeves,Bobs Machine Shop, JB Custom Rods,Reynolds marine, BassFishinElectronics )

4. Member
    OK guys. Replaced entire water pump assembly and nothing changed. 1/2 to 1.5 at idle and 18
    Lbs at full throttle per merc vessel view mobile. Motor was idling around 5+ minutes and steady alarm went off, reved it up and it stopped. I guess I will look at poppet and strainer. Pressure gauge on dash barely moves. This is on a Phoenix with an electronic pressure sender behind the dash. It worked great last season. If I remember correctly, it started acting up after an event on the Potomac , lots of grass.. Also, my vessel view mobile has the code from the alarm but I cannot see what it is? Is this normal for this setup? One last thing, is this something the warrenty would cover if I took it in for low pressure? I have never used an engine warranty before. Thanks Lee

5. Member
    Clean strainer and inspect thermostat.

6. Member
    +1 on the thermostats. Had the same issue last year, took the thermostats out and cleaned the debris from them. Haven’t had an issue since. I would recommend taking it to the dealer if your motor is under warranty because to access the right side thermostat I had to remove the fuel line and mercury uses a crimp style clamp. You can order the clamps from mercury but with out the proper tools it’s hard to get them crimped correctly. My motor was out of warranty so I just replaced it with a screw type clamp. But I think the people at mercury would frown on that if you ever had to take it in to wormed in under warranty. Not sure but may void the warranty. Not a chance I would take over a couple hundred dollar bill.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Intimidator1 View Post
    OK guys. Replaced entire water pump assembly and nothing changed. 1/2 to 1.5 at idle and 18
    Lbs at full throttle per merc vessel view mobile. Motor was idling around 5+ minutes and steady alarm went off, reved it up and it stopped. I guess I will look at poppet and strainer. Pressure gauge on dash barely moves. This is on a Phoenix with an electronic pressure sender behind the dash. It worked great last season. If I remember correctly, it started acting up after an event on the Potomac , lots of grass.. Also, my vessel view mobile has the code from the alarm but I cannot see what it is? Is this normal for this setup? One last thing, is this something the warrenty would cover if I took it in for low pressure? I have never used an engine warranty before. Thanks Lee
    Check the strainer and both thermostats. Since you say telltale is weak, I'd start at the strainer. Telltale is compressor outlet and strainer is on compressor inlet. Wouldn't be surprised if you find the strainer plugged with grass. There's a "how to" on the strainer in FAQ at top of the forum, thermostats too.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Member
    Will check the strainer tomorrow. Thanks

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tanker4lyfe View Post
    Clean strainer and inspect thermostat.
    T stat will not cause overheat you need to look at poppet sounds like it is not sealed and this will cause overheat at idle. Also make sure strainer is clean.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

10. Member
    Pretty positive that T stat that never opens WILL cause an overheat.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Pretty positive that T stat that never opens WILL cause an overheat.
    Not in this case He states (rev it up) and alarm stops that means block is not full of water meaning poppet not seated.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

12. Member
    What was the temperature of the motor when the alarm went off?

13. Member
    Ok guys, here's the latest. Checked the poppet, had a small piece of grass in it, removed it and resealed. Removed the strainer, 40 percent blocked with grass. Cleaned it and resealed. Fired up the engine on a hose and blocked off the nose cone pickups. Ran engine for approximately 10-15 minutes. 580rpm/ 117 engine temp,.1.5lbs water pressure at idle. No steady alarm went off. But an alarm did go off/ 6 beeps and vessel view said starboard thermostat. Called mercury and they said it's covered, only if it's defective/ not if it has debris in it. Take it to dealer or check it out myself?? Thanks for all the help.

14. Member
    Pretty simple job to take apart and inspect. Personally that is what I would do before going to the dealer.

15. Member
    Clean BOTH thermostats......easy peazy

16. Member
    Success!!!!! Checked starboard tstat first as that was the code. Clean and opens at 130. Checked port side and low and behold there was a piece of wood jammed it it holding it open. Removed the wood, checked at 130 good. Now I have 570 rpm, 126-128 temp and 3.2 psi at idle. Water pressure stream is way stronger and no more alarms at all. Thanks guys for all the help. This rundown fixed a few issues. Thank you.

17. Member

18. Member
    Good to hear you found the problems!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax