2014 Evinrude 200 etech ho no oil alarm?

Whats going on everyone? I appreciate any help i can get . I just got the boat 3 weeks ago, took it out for the fourth time . Ran great first thing in the morning. When trying to move to another spot, the no oil light went on. I shut it off and tried again with the same result. I tried to prime it and smoke came out and oil light came on again. Trolled in and haven’t turned it on. Anyone else have this issue before? It’s my first boat and I don’t know much about them. It’s on a 2007 ranger 519 svx. I did move the oil pump earlier in the week to check what kind of 2 stroke oil to add .
    Thanks

2. Member
    If the outboard is not going into SAFE mode and storing a code then could be a faulty gauge. The oil sensor if disturbed may need to be "burped" using Ev diag and the oil prime sequence.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huey View Post
    If the outboard is not going into SAFE mode and storing a code then could be a faulty gauge. The oil sensor if disturbed may need to be "burped" using Ev diag and the oil prime sequence.
    Is that something that can be done at home? Or does it need to go in to a shop?

4. Member
    If you have the equipment you could check code at home via Ev diag. So did it go into SAFE mode because if in fact it is not getting any lubricating oil the engine will go into this protection mode?

5. Member
    I don’t know if it did. Complete newbie here. How could I figure that out?

6. Member
    Engine RPM limited to 1200RPM. I think you maybe best to let a trained tech look at it then.

What do you mean you moved the oil pump to see what kind of oil to use? Explain further please.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

8. Member
    I unbolted the 4 screws on top of the reservoir to see what kind of 2 stroke oil it had. I was told if it was a blue color that it would be xd50 and brown would be xd100. Dealership I bought it from gave me no info. I was told I might have gotten air in the oil line, maybe that’s why the no oil light went on?

9. Member
    So, was the engine limiting itself to 1200RPM when this no oil low light came on, if not as mentioned possible faulty tacho- if it is the original Ranger fitted tacho, most likely not an OEM one so that would be worth looking at.

Unless you totally removed the oil pick-up I doubt air got into the oiling system-the oil pump is not in the oil tank.

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You would be better to take it in to your local dealer.