Phenix Rods — Difference Between UMBX and Classic Rods - 707MH

I picked up a couple of the new Ultra classics in the local store. They had the 707mh model which is the rod I’m most interested in. It has a carbon fiber scrim design between the reel seat and the first guide. And it has a different reel seat clamp made of foam that seems to take your forefinger away from the blank. I’m not sure if I really like that foam reel seat.

It seems to be a different blank which is what I’ve seen some people comment on. But the description on Phenix’s website doesn’t really tell what this difference in blanks is or if there’s an upgrade in any of the other components. The website also shows this rod coming with the thin aluminum reel seat?

If the Ultra MBX models are slightly faster than their counterparts in the Classic line, I think I might prefer that model. Not sure there’s a tackle shop in town with this rod in stock, though. Hmm.

Mainly looking for a “do it all” rod. I’ve been doing a lot of bank fishing lately and I am throwing anything from small jerkbaits to topwaters to some 6” and 8” swimbaits. My dobyns 735c has been doing a decent enough job but that Phenix 707mh has really kind of caught my eye.

I can't help you on the Ultra classic line, but I do have a few things that may be helpful for you.

First is that the Ultra MBX is a great line of rods. You won't be sorry if you go that route.

Second is to watch power ratings on Phenix rods. They're usually over-rated relative to other companies' rating systems, especially for medium and above. If you're used to fishing a medium-heavy in other brands and go to a Phenix medium heavy, you're going to have a rod that's too light for what you want to use it for. Watching line/lure ratings can be helpful, but realistically just step up to a heavy if you want performance comparable to another company's medium heavy.

Finally, because I apparently want to make your decision tougher, you may want to do your best to look into the newish Feather series of rods from Phenix if they have something in the size/power/action combo you're looking for (remembering the above advice). The thing that may be a problem is that I believe all of the heavier power rods in the Feather series have an extra fast action. That may not be conducive to the do-everything rod you're looking for.

In case you think extra-fast may work for you, I recently picked up one and have been absolutely blown away with its light weight, sensitivity, and balance. They're better rods than the more expensive UMBX series, at least in my opinion. In fact, I compared the Feather to a K2 ($500+) in the store. Any weight difference between the two wasn't discernible for me, and at least from the "carpet drag" test standpoint, it was damn near as sensitive at less than 1/3 the price. That's as close as I can offer on the comparison to the K2 as I'll never own one and likely will never fish one. If this series has any durability at all, Phenix may really have screwed themselves with this series as there's not a lot to be gained in spending more on their upper tier offerings. Unbelievable at around ~$150.

In the interest of not completely overblowing the above, the concern I do have about the Feather is durability. It's just so light and sensitive it feels like it's going to be fragile. For what it's worth, I think Phenix rods in general seem to feel that way and I've not had issues with their durability in the past.
    Last edited by DrewFlu33; 04-24-2018 at 04:08 PM.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    Thanks, DrewF33, appreciate the input!

4. Member
    Search Phenix UMBX 707MH and see the posts on this rod on TT. It is still one of my all-time favorite all-around factory built rods...I can literally, and still do, fish a large myriad of techs on it. This year alone, even with limited fishing time: 1oz slow rolled XCalibur XR100s in the late winter, post-spawn 1/2 oz swimjigs with Mugambo trailers, spring to now: 3/4 oz spinnerbaits, 3/8oz jigs, Mikey Jrs., big jerkbaits and topwaters.

5. Member
    As drewflu stated the new feather series is something special. The weight is unreal and the sensitivity is above what I expected and really is a great rod. The 7’1” Heavy is great for a lot of things, it would be overkill for a small Jerkbait, but I have used it for everything from swim jigs, swimbaits, Texas rigs, up to 3/8oz jigs, Topwater Walking baits, frogs, chatterbaits in thick grass, and spinnerbaits, really a great all around rod and it is definitely more of a Fast even pushing near mod fast I think vs the claimed extra fast which personally I like the closer to mod fast better especially being an all around do everything rod. The ultra rods are nice, but truly much heavier weight wise and obviously more spendy. I really think Phenix priced The feather at a point where they are cannibalizing their other rods, but that’s good for us. For balance it is incredible as well, i have a Revo stx and MGXtreme 2 on my two and they balance right at the locking nut.

6. Member
    I have a bunch of UMBX rods and 3 Feather's. I will be buying only Feather's in the future unless they don't have an action I'm looking for. I am really happy with the Feather series.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

7. Member
    I'm 99% sure there has only been one production series of ultra umbx blanks. I haven't seen any different in many years of custom rods.