Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    As others have said, the topic has been debated here "ad nauseam." There have been some heated discussions about the this in the past. I personally don't think it makes much difference which style one uses. They are usually called "transom" savers. In reality, on most boats, there is nothing to worry about concerning the transom. We use them to keep the motor from bouncing around. I use the Lou's transom saver. It, or the traditional transom saver, are recommended by BassCat.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

2. Member
    Motor mate

I will say I am a little disappointed in motormate. I went buy their booth at the classic and wanted to get some extra plastic caps that go on the end and he didn’t have any but said he would send me some. I gave him my address but I never got anything.

4. Member
    Motor Mate since 2011 with no problems.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S View Post
    2 pieces of 3/4" PVC has worked for 17 yrs on my boat. Even made 9 hr trips to Pickwick with them.
    Cheapskate...

Quote Originally Posted by grayline View Post
    Cheapskate...
    Why, yes I am.
    Alan
    __________________________________________________ _________
    Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.

8. Member
    How does My Wedge work? Slips over piston rods? If so, when lowering to engage does that put too much pressure/weight on piston cylinders?

Quote Originally Posted by local16 View Post
    transom saver for over 40 years. We've hashed this topic out on here many times and until someone convinces me, I'm sticking with what has worked.
    You should read what Al said.....you really want the shock from EVERY bump in the road to go straight to your motor???
    At least we had 1987....

Quote Originally Posted by JDS723 View Post
    I’m on my 2nd motormate and have had problems with them both. The first one fell off the tabs and bent. The second one fell off too but it didn’t bend yet. The motor has to move to bounce off the tabs. Not impressed so far.
    You either have the wrong one, or are not using it correctly.....I've never heard of that happening
    At least we had 1987....

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by L.Roberts View Post
    You should read what Al said.....you really want the shock from EVERY bump in the road to go straight to your motor???
    but that's exactly what a motor mate is doing......

12. Member
    I’m on my 2nd motormate and have had problems with them both. The first one fell off the tabs and bent. The second one fell off too but it didn’t bend yet. The motor has to move to bounce off the tabs. Not impressed so far.
    If your motor is bouncing that much, you might have broken upper motor mounts.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by L.Roberts View Post
    You either have the wrong one, or are not using it correctly.....I've never heard of that happening
    Not the wrong one. I called motormate after the first one failed and they asked what motor. It’s a 250 ProXS btw. They sent me a new one and the same thing happened. And I can’t be using it wrong, it’s pretty darn simple.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    If your motor is bouncing that much, you might have broken upper motor mounts.
    How can I look and tell?

15. Member
    I use Lou's.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

16. Member
    How can I look and tell?
    Take the toter off then grab the cavitation plate and see if you can pick up on it. If the mounts are broken the motor will rock towards the transom. Fairly common on 250 proxs especially if you run rough water a lot. It's not a cheap fix either, power head has to come off to replace adapter plate. I hope yours aren't broke, but if they are don't run it again until you get it fixed.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    Take the toter off then grab the cavitation plate and see if you can pick up on it. If the mounts are broken the motor will rock towards the transom. Fairly common on 250 proxs especially if you run rough water a lot. It's not a cheap fix either, power head has to come off to replace adapter plate. I hope yours aren't broke, but if they are don't run it again until you get it fixed.
    I’ll check it out Thursday. My boat is currently at a camp on Toledo Bend with a flat tire. I wonder if warranty fixes that if it is broke?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123