Banned

Single Axle trailer depth when loading

Is there a sweet spot regarding trailer depth when loading the boat? I have been loading with the fenders slightly out of the water and believe I am too deep as the stern did not settle in between the bunks last time out.

Pay close attention when you launch. The moment the rear of your boat starts to float...stop the trailer...make a visual of where it is in the water...that is exactly where you want it to be when you re-load.
    Last edited by Hez; 04-23-2018 at 01:07 PM.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

3. Member
    If your stern is floating after you drive up on the trailer then you are definitely too deep.

4. Member
    Tops of the fenders is where I load mine and it usually grabs the boat pretty good regardless of my angle when approaching.
    2017 Ranger 518 w/ Evinrude 150HO G2

5. Member
    I leave about 2” of my fenders out of the water and it works well almost every time.
    2023 Lund 2075 Pro V Bass XS
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 250 4S

It really depends on the slope angle of the ramp. No real answer here. Just note when the boat floated off and when you load it up just dont back it down as much. Practice makes perfect!
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

With most of the ramps I fish in east Tennessee, Chick, Nick, Watts Bar etc, I have the water just over the top of the fender. I usually winch the last few inches to the bow roller. I have a single axle, loading a VS 175.The ramp pitch will have a big effect on needed depth.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GMT View Post
    I leave about 2” of my fenders out of the water and it works well almost every time.
    Same perfect every time.

9. Member
    I leave two inches of the fenders showing. I first back down past that to get boards wet so boat slides up them easier.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenMCC View Post
    I leave two inches of the fenders showing. I first back down past that to get boards wet so boat slides up them easier.
    On the newer trailers, are you exposing the little step pad on top of the wheel well?

Quote Originally Posted by StevenMCC View Post

12. Member
    I back all the way in to get the bunks wet then pull out until the top of my fender is about 4” out of the water. I use the same ramp 95% of the time (yes I’m boring and fish the same lake) but I will pay attention to when it floats next time.

13. Member
    The slope of the ramp determines the depth of the trailer.
    I will let the 2nd set of bunks be about 2" out of the water, this works on steeper ramps. If the ramp is "flatter" then the same bunks need to be submerged by an inch or two.
    I would be cautious of not having the trailer deep enough and trying to power the boat up the bunks from a dead-stop. It just takes practice and experience.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=92936&dateline=150203  9213
    2013 Ranger Z519 / 225 Mercury Pro XS