Jackplate to Transom Mounting Bolt Tightening Procedure

Had a quick trip saturday, and as i was putting the boat up for the night, I noticed i could see light between the jackplate and transom. Obviously, i need to tighten the mounting bolts, but are there any specific steps to take in doing so? Trim up? Trim down? I saw a youtube video that the guy used a floor jack to make the jackplate flush without trimming.

Figured no better place to ask than here. Any help is appreciated.
    2009 Ranger Z520, Mercury 250 ProXS

2. Banned
    If you do not plan on resealing, get a trusted buddy to hold the bolt heads you tighten the nuts or vice versa. Since it is your boat it may be best for you to hold the bolts and make sure they do not turn the slightest when tightening the nuts.

3. Member
    If you can see space between the transom and jackplate, I would reseal the bolts before torquing them. If the bolts have been loose for some time I would replace the bolts,nuts and washers. Use marine grade silicone for use below the waterline. I would change them one at a time after snugging up the old ones. Torque to 80lb.ft.s
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

4. Member
    Engine Mounting Bolts to JACKPLATE: 90 lbs/ft
    Engine or Jackplate to FIBERGLASS HULL: 55 lbs/ft
    Is this old info?

Also, i say jackplate and transom, but i do have 1 powerpole, so i have the brackets actually between the jackplate and transom.

What types of bolts, washers, nuts to use if i replace? I assume i just lather the bolts with the silicone and install?
    2009 Ranger Z520, Mercury 250 ProXS

5. Member
    I use german torque specs good and tight

6. Member
    The 80 is what I was told they use at the factory when I was there a couple of weeks ago. You can get a bolt kit from a Mercury dealer with everything you need. Lots of silicone on the bolts and just wipe the exceed after torquing.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8