Helix network 3 units and transom 360 and units freeze if left on the 360 screen

so I have a helix 12 and two helix 10 networked, and if i retract the transom 360 but leave the units on the 360 screen for a while 5-10 minutes, on or more of the units freeze up.....

I remember someone else on here mentioning the same issue......I already sent one unit back twice for freeze ups from other reasons, but now the repaired unit and eve the brand new helix 12 will freeze up and have to be unplugged if left on the 360 screen while retracted too long......
    2016 Tracker pro team 175txw 75hp 4 stroke
    helix 12 si console helix 10 di and helix 10 si bow and ulterra 80 i-pilot link and transom 360 and Garmin 126sv and Livescope

2. Member
    My ultrex 360 froze up a lot with my Helix 10mega g2n at the bow. I bought the Helix 12 chirp for the bow and moved the 10 to the console. The 12 froze up not as much. I did have a low voltage issue due to the boats original wiring that was to light. 2001 Tracker Pro Team 175. I ran 10 gauge wiring from each unit to the battery(Thanks Wayne P) I fished all day Saturday with no issues at all. The 360 was on at least 6 of those 10 hours!

3. Member
    yep my wiring is good, 10 gauge to a fuse block then 14 after that to bow units and console wired direct to fuse block , and no voltage drop with meter to any of the units when compared to voltage at the battery, everything works/runs fine, just if i retract the 360 and go to fish another area and don't deploy the 360 for 10 minutes or maybe longer sometimes the units that stayed on the 360 screen will freeze up, to the point that i have to pull the power plug
    helix 12 si console helix 10 di and helix 10 si bow and ulterra 80 i-pilot link and transom 360 and Garmin 126sv and Livescope

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suvowner View Post
    .... and no voltage drop with meter to any of the units when compared to voltage at the battery...
    Is this by checking the pins in the end of the cable when it's not plugged in? Or when the units are powered up? Need to be sure your testing voltage drop when a load is present.... but maybe you were. Just surprised you measure zero voltage drop.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

5. Member
    yes when I meter the voltage at the power cord into the DI unit i get 12.78 and when the unit boots up it drops to 12.49. per humminbird this is a normal amount of drop.

when just static and powered off no drop...

Quote Originally Posted by suvowner View Post
    yes when I meter the voltage at the power cord into the DI unit i get 12.78 and when the unit boots up it drops to 12.49. per humminbird this is a normal amount of drop.

when just static and powered off no drop...
    The amount of voltage drop under load is variable by the size of the conductors that create resistance due to length. 12 gauge will have less than 14 gauge, and 10 gauge will have less than 12 gauge.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The amount of voltage drop under load is variable by the size of the conductors that create resistance due to length. 12 gauge will have less than 14 gauge, and 10 gauge will have less than 12 gauge.
    yep, as well as the load capacity of the power source......

what is an acceptable upper limit of voltage drop for a unit powered up vs off ?

8. Member
    humminbird cs response:
    I do apologize that you are experiencing issues with your unit. I would suggest that if you are using a map card in the unit that you take the card out and try it without the card and if you have any waypoints on the unit try backing them up if the unit is freezing up on a Chart view onto a blank SD card and load them into the HB PC program to clear them of any corruption and then you can upload them back into the unit, just in case there was any corrupt data. Also, check to make sure you are getting proper voltage to the unit and maybe even try on a dedicated power source for the unit itself.
    If the unit continues to freeze up after this then we may need to see the unit in for further evaluation.

unfortunately i have already done all these things chasing the freezing up on my di unit, which was repaired......