Question PS21 in shallow water?

I just tried the PS21 on shallow water, about 5ft, I found the distance (range) is very limited, probably around 20~30ft max, even I set the range to 80ft.

it has much better result on 10ft of water...

do you have the same experience?

2. Member
    I can't say the same but similar. The range is limited by the depth for some reason. When I am looking for crappie I am often in 20 FOW. I usually have the range set to 70 but sometimes 100. In over 200 FOW I could see fish 160 ft away. Why? I don't know.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Would pointing it straight out and not tilted down help in shallow water?

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    Good point Monte

5. Member
    Well if my solid geometry teacher's herculean efforts to teach me was a success...... It makes sense to me that the shallower the water the shorter the range. Basically you have a triangle. The PS21 is one of the three angles in a triangle. The cone of that angle is defined by its amount of degrees. The legs can only extend to the opposite side ( in this case the depth ).

Just like the down vu on the PS 30. Deeper water allows a greater range.

Imagine an equilateral triangle each angle would be 60 degrees and all sides equal. So if our imaginary transducer had a cone of 60 degrees. The two sides of the cone would have to equal the depth. Greater the depth the greater of each corresponding leg. The PS 21 rotated to straight out would improve range somewhat but would be limited by the actual depth.

Makes sense to me. Maybe I just added to confusion.
    Helix Mega 10 SI G2N , ILink
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

Echomap Ultra 106 SV with Livescope 12 . Ice Rig

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    I can't say the same but similar. The range is limited by the depth for some reason. When I am looking for crappie I am often in 20 FOW. I usually have the range set to 70 but sometimes 100. In over 200 FOW I could see fish 160 ft away. Why? I don't know.
    Thank you for the input, now I know it's not only my problem :)

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    I did try, basically useless.
    But next time I will try to set shorter range, will see if that can give me more stable image (sometimes the bottom shows like a big drop off, which i am sure it's wrong)

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hays47 View Post
    Well if my solid geometry teacher's herculean efforts to teach me was a success...... It makes sense to me that the shallower the water the shorter the range. Basically you have a triangle. The PS21 is one of the three angles in a triangle. The cone of that angle is defined by its amount of degrees. The legs can only extend to the opposite side ( in this case the depth ).

Just like the down vu on the PS 30. Deeper water allows a greater range.

Imagine an equilateral triangle each angle would be 60 degrees and all sides equal. So if our imaginary transducer had a cone of 60 degrees. The two sides of the cone would have to equal the depth. Greater the depth the greater of each corresponding leg. The PS 21 rotated to straight out would improve range somewhat but would be limited by the actual depth.

Makes sense to me. Maybe I just added to confusion.
    Thanks for the education, I got your point and seems make sense to me..

9. Member
    Garmin says the range is limited to something like 5x the depth.