Terrible Hole shot After Raising Engine One Bolt

I do not have a jack plate on my 2000 Nitro with 175ProSx. I decided to raise the engine up one bolt hole to see what it would do, hoping for more top end speed. I took it out and it was slow to get out of the hole. I filled the live well 3/4 way and it would not get out of the hole unless someone was sitting on the front deck. Could raising the engine that 1 inch make that much difference?

2. Banned
    yes you need to raise it 1/4 of an inch at a time. You need a jack plate. I got a new prop and it was to high. I drop the motor (manual jackplate) and it runs a ton better.

3. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Yes.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

4. Member
    Backroads is your boat a NX882?

Does your prop have vent holes in it? If so, and if they have plugs in them, you might try removing one or more.

I also have to ask: you trimmed the motor all the way down first, right? I'm sure you did, but it actually wouldn't be the first time someone posted here asking for advice when - after a bunch of questions and advice - it turned out that was the solution.

Past that, sounds like you should put it back where it was or look into a jackplate. You can buy a manually operated one for relatively cheap (~$200), and if you have the means to raise the motor on the transom you have the means to install one.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

6. Banned
    Absolutely. As stated when adjusting jackplate it’s usually 1/4” at a time and that can make a world of difference. You should really considering getting one. Even a standard 6” Manual jackplate can do wonder for your boat.

7. Member
    Yes it is.

8. Member
    Yes, it is a NX882

Quote Originally Posted by oli3665 View Post
    Backroads is your boat a NX882?

9. Member
    LOL. Yeah, the motor is trimmed all the way down. My boat has a factory transom extension(?) or setback(?). So I will most likely replace it with a jack plate.

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Does your prop have vent holes in it? If so, and if they have plugs in them, you might try removing one or more.

I also have to ask: you trimmed the motor all the way down first, right? I'm sure you did, but it actually wouldn't be the first time someone posted here asking for advice when - after a bunch of questions and advice - it turned out that was the solution.

Past that, sounds like you should put it back where it was or look into a jackplate. You can buy a manually operated one for relatively cheap (~$200), and if you have the means to raise the motor on the transom you have the means to install one.

10. Member
    I must add that I swapped out my 3 blade to my 4 blade to see if it would help. It didn't do much better with the hole shot but I gained 4mph with the 4 blade prop.

Quote Originally Posted by Backroads N GA View Post
    I must add that I swapped out my 3 blade to my 4 blade to see if it would help. It didn't do much better with the hole shot but I gained 4mph with the 4 blade prop.
    That's surprising, especially if they're props are of the same pitch. Generally speaking, more blades means better hole shot and slower top end speed. This is why you see the 5 blade props on competition ski boats and such. Exceptions to every rule of course, though either way it sounds like your three blade is in bad shape.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

12. Member
    I wouldn't know what to look for to know what kind of shape it's in.

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    That's surprising, especially if they're props are of the same pitch. Generally speaking, more blades means better hole shot and slower top end speed. This is why you see the 5 blade props on competition ski boats and such. Exceptions to every rule of course, though either way it sounds like your three blade is in bad shape.

A 4 blade will usually do better with a higher engine setting, so it may make sense. Mercury Trophy and Tempest will generally run the same RPM and speed. Your suppose to run the trophy 1/2 inch higher then the tempest.

Where you at on your prop shaft to pad relationship? 2.5"?
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

The obvious would be to see if it's all dinged up. Past that, (lack of) cupping on the leading edges of the blades is one sign that the prop is worn. What I mean by that is feeling the leading edges of the blades with your fingers, there should be a noticeable curvature. Think about the shape of a spinnerbait blade to get an idea of what I mean, though this is more subtle and concentrated more at the edge. For most every prop you'd run on a bass boat, it shouldn't just be straight. The amount of cup on each prop is different and adding/removing cup can change performance in different ways for different setups, but if it's gone it's a good sign that it's taken a lot of wear.

Probably best to get your jackplate installed before tinkering with the prop. Once you do that, I'd suggest asking around on the "Setups" or Nitro board to see if folks have good suggestions for a place to start with your height settings for your boat/motor combo. Then you can either grab a new prop (see what people suggest for your boat), or maybe even better, get with a good prop mechanic to get yours repaired, tuned up, and tweaked to work best in your set up. Mark Croxton is a board sponsor and is probably the most well-known guy out there for that type of thing. I'd wager he could even tell you what to do for your boat from a motor height, setback, and prop selection standpoint to achieve your specific performance goals.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"