G2 250 HO. Louder than usual power steering

Guys,
    Finally got my boat out of hibernation this weekend. Mid way through the day on Saturday I noticed the power steering was a bit louder than normal, especially when turning left. I would describe the noise as a chainsaw running off in the distance. The response of the steering still seemed like it usually is.

Took the boat out again Sunday, and it seemed to have quited down.

I don't really want to hastle with taking the boat to the dealer unless necessary, so any ideas?

2. Member
    Did the engine come on the boat from Ranger?

The Lucas fluid that ranger is or was using is terrible. After it got a little age on it it would make the engines harder to steer, you may not feel it because of the power steering. If it hasnt been flushed and replaced with the correct Seastar fluid it may be a good idea.

I dont believe that Lucas fluid was ever approved for the G2 but Ranger didnt want to hear that they had to use a different fluid for the Evinrude. After i seen those issues i wouldnt use it in my seastar cylinder either i prefer myself to use the fluid it was designed to use.

Much of this is opinion from my own experience, i dont know if you will get anyone to pay for the replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Evinrude57 View Post
    Did the engine come on the boat from Ranger?

The Lucas fluid that ranger is or was using is terrible. After it got a little age on it it would make the engines harder to steer, you may not feel it because of the power steering. If it hasnt been flushed and replaced with the correct Seastar fluid it may be a good idea.

I dont believe that Lucas fluid was ever approved for the G2 but Ranger didnt want to hear that they had to use a different fluid for the Evinrude. After i seen those issues i wouldnt use it in my seastar cylinder either i prefer myself to use the fluid it was designed to use.

Much of this is opinion from my own experience, i dont know if you will get anyone to pay for the replacement.

Yes, it was filled by Ranger, with Lucus Oils fluid.

What are the specs on the Lucas steering fluid? If they do not meet the mil spec 5606 and the newer generations, it is not approved either by SeaStar or by Evinrude.

• U.S. Military Specification MIL-PRF-5606H (supercedes
    MIL-O-5606, AN-O-336, AN-VV-O-336 and AAF-3580)
    X/C 5606A Aviation Hydraulic Fluid meets the requirements of:
    • U.S. Military Specification MIL-H-5606A
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

5. Member
    OK a little bit of clarification. For the 2018MY Ranger changed from one lucas fluid to another, the fluid they are using now is approved, the old fluid was not. When the older fluid got cold it would get really thick.

The old fluid is darker in color then the approved fluid, the approved fluid is almost clear.

6. Member
    my steering makes the same sound - i think it's just the electric actuator that you hear.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

Quote Originally Posted by Evinrude57 View Post
    OK a little bit of clarification. For the 2018MY Ranger changed from one lucas fluid to another, the fluid they are using now is approved, the old fluid was not. When the older fluid got cold it would get really thick.

The old fluid is darker in color then the approved fluid, the approved fluid is almost clear.
    This makes me think that the cold temperatures had something to do with it. Air temp was near 50 degrees, but motor was in low 40 degree water all day. Also, I assume since mine was filled in 2016, it is the older fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by joebone1 View Post
    my steering makes the same sound - i think it's just the electric actuator that you hear.
    Does yours make that noise mostly when its cold? Also, there is always a bit of a "normal" noise I am accustomed to. This noise was louder than normal, and louder when turning left than right. Based on the info above, I am going to see what happens when things warm up (hopefully one day soon).

Update:
    Took the boat out last night. Ait temps were in the high 50's. Water temps also in the 50's. The power steering pump sounded normal.

Quote Originally Posted by jessemyers View Post
    Update:
    Took the boat out last night. Ait temps were in the high 50's. Water temps also in the 50's. The power steering pump sounded normal.
    The louder power steering noise returned yesterday evening. This shows it not to be linked with cold weather. The noise is noticably louder when turning left than when turning right. It appears i will need to be scheduling a trip to Loeckeman's marine to investigate.

UPDATE: I took the boat into Lockeman's. There is a power steering coupler that had cracked. Apparently earlir models like mine had this coupler made from plastic, and now Evinrude has updated the design to a metal coupler. My replacement coupler will be metal. Also, the DPS module was malfunctioning, and making the power steering run more than it should. DPS module will be replaced.

Sounds like these items are related. Not sure which is the chicken or the egg, but I assume the DPS module malfunctioned, and caused the power steering to run more than it should, and overloaded the plastic coupler...

Lockeman's had to order the DPS module. Should have my boat back Wednesday.

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Lockeman's has an excellent reputation as a repair facility Good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Lockeman's has an excellent reputation as a repair facility Good deal.
    Great place. I can't imagine having a more personable experience. My 250 HO G2 was ordered with my boat from a different dealer, and they treat me like I am on their Pro Staff or something....

They are one of the best qualified dealers in the country
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !