200 optimax just dies

hey guys this is my first post. i searched all the threads but could not find an answer to my particular issue. I have a 2003 mercury 200 optimax serial #ot775163. Its on a 2003 Champion 188 elite. I've owned the boat for a year and never had any problems. I had the water pump and foot oil replaced this February. First time out the boat ran normal (meaning great). The problem started the second time out. The motor starts just fine. After its is up on plane and running for a few minutes, it shuts down just like you turned the key off. It starts back up fine on the first crank. back on plane same thing. With each time this happens the shorter the distance the boat goes until it won't get on plane. it always starts back on the first crank. I took it to a local reputable dealer. They scanned the motor and it shows no codes of any kind. They replaced the fuel lines due to ethanol damage, cleaned the vst and all related parts. Back on the water the same thing. Back to the dealer, replaced the ignition switch. Mechanic took the boat out, same thing. They say they have checked every possible component to no avail. Compression is fine. The technicians are stumped. Service manager has called Mercury for help but its been 3 weeks and no answers. I've heard of other optimax motors having the same issue but no solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Scott
    Last edited by firefighter96; 04-23-2018 at 10:04 AM.

Wow that is an interesting one. Did they rebuild the fuel pump? If you did have deteriorating fuel lines, it may have clogged up that pump.

It also sounds like the fuel lines or bulb might be sucking flat or not getting fuel from the tank. How about your anti siphon valve(s) on your fuel tank? Can you remove it temporarily just for a test run?

BTW, Was a Mercury OEM Bulb used? Is it installed in the correct direction? Were OEM quality lines used?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    was fuel psi tested when problem occurs on water [must maintain fuel steady psi]????? report back
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    the fuel pump was not rebuilt and I'm fairly certain the fuel psi was not tested on the water. It has new fuel lines from the tank, the diaphragm and fuel filter were replaced . Not sure if oem parts were used. The boat is still at the dealer. I'm sure if I bring it home they'll quit trying to deal with Mercury. The problem still persists even after the fuel system parts replaced. I'll contact the dealer to see if they tested fuel pressure

5. Member
    Just talked to the mechanic and service manager. The fuel pump was checked and found to be in working order. the fuel pressure is good all the way to the fuel rail. It was tested on the water. the pressure remained constant to the rail. When the motor shut off the fuel pressure was good. Mercury oem parts were used in the initial repairs.

6. Banned
    cannon plug. pull it apart and carefully spread the prongs a tad

7. Member
    run on separate test harness eliminate boat harness, check pwer relay
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    thanks for the advice. I'll check that and get back. The weather is pretty crappy here so it might be a couple of days. Thanks again

9. Member
    Mine did something similar. Ended up being the fuel pickup was cracked. Good luck.

10. Member
    Doesn't sound like your dealer is well versed in Optimax. Did they rebuild the pulse pump the same time they did everything else? If not, that's where the problem could be. This topic in the FAQ explains the correct process to use when fuel system issues exist, pay close attention to the do everything listed all at the same time comments - FUEL LINES AND PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

11. Member
    Did you change the fuel bulb and is it oriented correctly. Sometimes a bulb will delaminate inside and choke off fuel

12. Member
    it does appear that the optimax is a different animal that normal mercury outboards and all dealers are not created equal. the dealer did rebuild the diaphragm. i believe that is the equivalent to the pulse pump.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter96 View Post
    it does appear that the optimax is a different animal that normal mercury outboards and all dealers are not created equal. the dealer did rebuild the diaphragm. i believe that is the equivalent to the pulse pump.
    Got it. The diaphragm inside the pulse pump is replaced when defective.

You are absolutely correct, not all Mercury dealers are created equal. For best support find a Mercury dealer that is Outboard Premier certified. This guarantees at least one Mercury Master certified tech works at the dealership.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax