Curado I 70 making a noise?

So bought a reel from BBC member. He said he hadn't used it since last year. When I got it, it makes a sort of sandpaper sound on the retrieve. Casts great and doesn't sound like the gears are bad, but it its only on the retrieve and more of a scratchy sound. Any ideas.

2. Member
    Could be a few things. Either the lower pinion bearing has gotten some debris in it, or the upper pinion bearing(x ship) could have gotten debris in it. The gears could also be dry.

3. Member
    I took the reel apart and it had a lot of grease. I cleaned it and regressed and no difference. Definitly seems like it might be a bearing issue. Soak the bearings a bit in lighter fluid or get new ones you think?

4. Banned
    Just like every other new Shimano thats out there, its gonna need a pinion bearing. When they come across my bench, they always get a new one, even if it aint noisey.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwenbass View Post
    I took the reel apart and it had a lot of grease. I cleaned it and regressed and no difference. Definitly seems like it might be a bearing issue. Soak the bearings a bit in lighter fluid or get new ones you think?
    You can soak them and see if helps, but flushing with an ultrasonic is the best way to ensure it’s clean. Chances are it will be the lower pinion bearing.

Call me I can help you....

Dan Isaac
    ReelEx
    650 454 4938
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"