Engine break in fault code?

250 pro xs

How long does the engine break in fault code continue to show up. I have 5-6hrs on the motor now and the code still shows up. Does it end at 10hrs?
    Nitro z21

I thought it should be two hours. If you go into the alarms page, it will show the countdown clock.

The clock will only count down when you meet a certain set of parameters. Did you follow the break-in procedure in your manual?

Here is Don’s post on this...http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=22092

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    Yes buried trim and plate
    limited idle except when allowing engine to reach proper temp
    rpms 4-5200ish

then after that ran motor normal varying throttle and limiting wot.
    Nitro z21

4. Member
    To add to my issues with this motor after close to the last run of the day when I came off pad the motor seemed to develop a shake rough idle but only when in gear. Seems like maybe a loose wire or fouled plug. Haven’t had time to look into it more. Otherwise it seemed to run good and didn’t show any alarms other then the break in code
    Nitro z21

5. Member
    20 hrs, it will go away
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

6. Member
    Wow 20hrs.
    thanks
    Nitro z21

Quote Originally Posted by Mick2268 View Post
    20 hrs, it will go away
    Only if you are not doing the break-in properly.

To the OP:
    CHECK TO SEE WHAT YOUR SMARTCRAFT LISTS AS TIME REMAINING.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

8. Member
    Can’t say I could have done it any better other than not doing all 4 hrs at once plus I had to go full throttle to hit mid 4K on my boat with trim and plate buried. And I did have a 10 min period I had to limp back to ramp after my new fury 4 let go of a blade(mercury replacing under warranty)
    Nitro z21

It will only count off minutes as long as you are doing it right. You go by the book and it should count off in 3 hrs

10. Member
    Alright I guess 20hrs it is don’t know what else to do watched my rpms through my smartcraft for 2hrs of run time and varied rpms to stay in the 4-5000ish range. Since then I can’t say I ever maintained a specific rpm for beyond a 5min period. The manual break in is very vague
    Nitro z21

just went through breakin on mine went off after 3 hrs did breakin all at one time did shut down every 20 to 30 and let it set for 15 min and also ran in reverse I would take back to dealer have them check it out

12. Member
    Yeah waiting on a call back and to get a new coil cable. The motor does seem to still be using a lot of oil
    Last edited by jasonG; 04-23-2018 at 07:43 PM.
    Nitro z21

13. Member
    Should not be anymore than 4 hours, if done properly.
    You should not have to "go full throttle" to hit the required break-in RPM's.

14. Member
    I'm calling BS! The smartcraft manual said it would go off at 20 hrs, said nothing about only if break in was perfect. Besides that; all it says after the initial hour is to stay between certain rpm, and no wot for more than a few 15 seconds I think. What is there to do wrong?

Jason: They will use more oil than normal up to around 10 hrs or so. Had a 16, and now an 18, and both used more oil than normal for awhile, then went to normal consumption.
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick2268 View Post
    I'm calling BS! The smartcraft manual said it would go off at 20 hrs, said nothing about only if break in was perfect. Besides that; all it says after the initial hour is to stay between certain rpm, and no wot for more than a few 15 seconds I think. What is there to do wrong?

Jason: They will use more oil than normal up to around 10 hrs or so. Had a 16, and now an 18, and both used more oil than normal for awhile, then went to normal consumption.
    Sorry....but not B.S........just experience!

If the PCM does not see the RPM's within the PROPER window the Break-In clock will NOT count down. I did mine in 4 hours total time, over the course of two days, to achieve a couple of heat cycles.
    Last edited by Savage; 04-23-2018 at 09:54 PM.

Savage is not BSing. My last two new motors only had 120min on the break in clock in my Mercmonitor. I also just paged through my Mercmoniotor manual and break-in time is not mentioned.

Back to the OP, you have a thread about a coil wire not hooked up properly to where a cylinder was not firing. This condition could prevent the break-in clock from counting down AND explain why you had to go to WOT to get up to get RPMs up. Additionally, as long as it is break in mode, it will be double oiling.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

17. Member
    From the very beginning the most rpms I could pull with both a 24 fury and a 25 tempest was 4700rpms and only able to get that with throttle buried. That’s having trim fully in and a jackplate at the lowest point. This is a heavy 21’ tournament loaded rig. At that time I don’t think the #5 cylinder had a spark issue as everything appeared to run fine. After I hit about 2hrs I opened it up with trim and raised the plate and hit 69mph and 5800rpms. Even Sunday I was able to hit 68 loaded. Then the spark issue started or at least I noticed it and couldn’t run it anymore as I was in a no wake area

to add Sunday I put about 3hrs on the motor and it was 90% fishing rough water so most times I had the trim down and plate and was only running mid 40s varying throttle so that puts me right back into the break in requirement

Looking forward to to hear what the mechanic has to say.
    Last edited by jasonG; 04-24-2018 at 04:44 AM.
    Nitro z21

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    250 pro xs

How long does the engine break in fault code continue to show up. I have 5-6hrs on the motor now and the code still shows up. Does it end at 10hrs?
    Jason- please see the Forum Announcements, and provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

Since you had a plug wire loose- that can affect the possibilities (especially with how the engine is running).

Get the engine to your DEALER and have the problems corrected.

Regarding the Break-in Clock: It will be 120 minutes (or less), depending on the PCM Calibration.

Clock ONLY counts down when:

-There is HIGH LOAD (trim/jackplate tucked)

-Engine RPM's are ABOVE 3500 RPM's.

I have seen pontoons with over 100 hours, still in break-in (because all they do is putter around with them).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

19. Member
    I don't think you were hitting 68 MPH with the end missing off a spark plug wire.........The end had to be on the spark plug cable.