Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Son?

2. Banned
    DAD?!?!?!?!

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneFishingLTN View Post
    This is my 20th time on a boat maybe and whenever I have to fish deep with the wind around 15mph. I just can’t I’m blown off my spot then I get back on it to only be blown off in the middle of a cast. Is this common or do I just lack knowledge and boat control? I can’t afford an ultrex I also really don’t want one because I mainly fish shallow but when the fish are deep do I just give up or?
    Move from Iowa, there's nothing between you and Manitoba and it's just too darned windy! That's why you have all those wind farms. All other factors being equal, the lighter the rig the more it gets blown around. It physics.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Original Tin View Post
    Sure...long as she's cool with me puffin a fatty....
    Oh.....
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

Some metal boats sit with the bow very high sort of with the nose sticking up. Glass boats are not as bad ..... Some metal boats sit pretty level when at rest. The ones that sit with the bow raised blow around LOTS worse than a boat that sits level when you are using the TM and fishing. Anchors sometimes work...I fish Florida a lot in the winter. If I am on a stack of fish, like on a shell bed or something, I have been known to throw out an anchor. They work. I also have the anchor stick pin like a manual shallow water anchor that I use. I always have both in the boat. Depending on conditions, they both work if you are trying to stay on a spot and having troubles with the TM.

I just cannot bring myself to drop well over 2 grand and replace a working Maxuum 80 trolling motor. Spot lock would be great and my next TM will have it. I would not buy a new boat without it. BUT.... Most of the time I am moving anyway. I would love to have it to hit spot lock while I am landing and releasing a fish to stay where I caught the fish....and other times too.

I have a drift sock in both boats and use them sometimes too...but not to stay still....hence the word "drift."
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    Some metal boats sit with the bow very high sort of with the nose sticking up. Glass boats are not as bad ..... Some metal boats sit pretty level when at rest. The ones that sit with the bow raised blow around LOTS worse than a boat that sits level when you are using the TM and fishing. Anchors sometimes work...I fish Florida a lot in the winter. If I am on a stack of fish, like on a shell bed or something, I have been known to throw out an anchor. They work. I also have the anchor stick pin like a manual shallow water anchor that I use. I always have both in the boat. Depending on conditions, they both work if you are trying to stay on a spot and having troubles with the TM.

I just cannot bring myself to drop well over 2 grand and replace a working Maxuum 80 trolling motor. Spot lock would be great and my next TM will have it. I would not buy a new boat without it. BUT.... Most of the time I am moving anyway. I would love to have it to hit spot lock while I am landing and releasing a fish to stay where I caught the fish....and other times too.

I have a drift sock in both boats and use them sometimes too...but not to stay still....hence the word "drift."
    Couple things...

First, tins don't sit any more bow high than glass boats...I'm not sure where you got that. Nothing sits more bow high than a Gambler or a Bullet or a Stroker or an Allison...... and they all fish pretty good in the wind.

And I didn't read anywhere in this thread where someone said a drift sock is a good way to stay sill??? It was suggested as a way to help hold a deep water ledge or grass line in high winds. Obviously a drift sock is not an anchor...duh.

I have used drift socks in deep water high wind situations my entire life...my dad used to make them out of old canvas mail or laundry sacks and they worked pretty good too. You can't just toss one overboard and expect to get results...like everything there is a technique that works well in high winds when you want to very slowly fish a spot with complete control of your boat. I can sit on deep structure in wind forever on most days just by tacking back and forth with my bow into the wind and a proper drift sock set up. If you'd like to know the technique I can explain it to you but its a little complicated and I aint about to waste my time if you don't care...and something tells me you couldn't care less what I think.

**Show me a tin that sits more bow high than these glass rigs...just one... I can't think of any.

GAMBLER

BULLET

STROKER

ALLISON
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Original Tin; 04-24-2018 at 12:02 AM. Reason: **Edit to add pics for effect

Even my old Triton sat high then my Tracker. To me it’s more of a weight issue then any bow height.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

sorry double post

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

9. Banned
    Maybe a Tracker Revolution hull might sit as bow high as some glass rigs but that's the only tin I can think of that sits close to a Gambler....but still not as extreme.
    Last edited by Original Tin; 04-24-2018 at 12:01 AM.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    Even my old Triton sat high then my Tracker. To me it’s more of a weight issue then any bow height.
    Yup...I might be high but even I know tin boats sit more level on the average than glass.

11. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar

X2, Brother... X2!

Oh and BTW, I would dismiss any replies by OT as nothing more than "the nonsensical ravings of a Lunatic mind..."
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Fish View Post
    X2, Brother... X2!

Oh and BTW, I would dismiss any replies by OT as nothing more than "the nonsensical ravings of a Lunatic mind..."
    Oh...so I guess you're the genius who's gonna show this "nonsensical lunatic" a tin boat that sits as bow high as a one of the glass rigs above??

Yeah...I didn't think so... And the statement you just "x2 Brothered" was mostly inaccurate information and opinion based upon misguided facts.

Tins do not sit more bow high than glass rigs and only a "lunatic" would try to say they do.

And I can always tell when I'm winning an argument...cause the name calling starts...and YOU started it.

13. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    And the statement you just "x2 Brothered" was mostly inaccurate information and opinion based upon misguided facts.
    OK, don't you EVER, EVER talk about my Boy Panama like that again, or I'll take you down, Son, you and your Gator Tracks's, down to F'n China town!
    Last edited by King_Fish; 04-24-2018 at 07:30 AM. Reason: to put in layman's terms for OT to understand...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

14. Banned
    OK, don't you EVER, EVER talk about my Boy Panama like that again, or I'll take you down, Son, you and your Gator Tracks's, down to F'n China town!
    No thanks...I'm already married and I don't really like China Town. Keep looking though...don't give up...I'm sure you'll find the right "man" eventually.

And don't worry... I would never say anything that might come between you and Panama... I don't swing that way...the "Brotherhood" way.

Last edited by Original Tin; 04-24-2018 at 08:16 AM. Reason: ADDED A PRETTY PIC TO ENTERTAIN KING FISHES CHILDLIKE MIND...

15. Banned
    You know something King Fish...

I've noticed your replies have been kinda below par lately...like a little kid has hacked your account or something??

Has your doctor changed your meds recently or something like that?? Did you stop taking your meds??

Anyway until your childish behavior stops I'm gonna call you "King Fish Child"... KFC for short...

Yeah...KFC...I like it... How bout you...you like your new name KFC???

16. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    You know something King Fish...

I've noticed your replies have been kinda below par lately...like a little kid has hacked your account or something??

Has your doctor changed your meds recently or something like that?? Did you stop taking your meds??

Anyway until your childish behavior stops I'm gonna call you "King Fish Child"... KFC for short...

Yeah...KFC...I like it... How bout you...you like your new name KFC???
    How Rude!
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

17. Member
    Antway, getting back to drift socks.....If you want to give it a "cheap try" punch a couple of holes in the rim of a 5 gallon bucked and put a hole in the bottom. tie it up through the rim holes and let it out with about 5 to 10 feet of rope. It will give you and idea

How Rude!
    Yes, it was a rude comment but I have come to expect it.
    Petty and insecure.

The sun is coming out and I'm going fishing....

Edited because I don't want to further this stuff so I erased it.
    Last edited by Panama; 04-24-2018 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by njpaulc View Post
    Antway, getting back to drift socks.....If you want to give it a "cheap try" punch a couple of holes in the rim of a 5 gallon bucked and put a hole in the bottom. tie it up through the rim holes and let it out with about 5 to 10 feet of rope. It will give you and idea
    Never tried that but I have used drift socks quite a bit and in the right situation, they work. I use a couple of those foam thing they use in swimming pools with my sock and it works to keep it clear.

20. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Yes, it was a rude comment but I have come to expect it.
    Petty and insecure.

The sun is coming out and I'm going fishing....

Edited because I don't want to further this stuff so I erased it.
    Enjoy your afternoon, Panama...

I hope your out there wheel 'n, deal 'n and sit 'n there reel 'n them in!
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast