G2 oil readings—your experience needed

I have a new G2 225, awesome in every way, but the oil readings on the Icon gauge are a little surprising. The reservoir is supposed to hold 2 gallons, and the dealer put 1 gallon into the reservoir while setting up the motor. When I picked up the boat, the Icon gauge showed oil level at 59%. When I got home, I put approximately 1/2 gallon into the reservoir, at which point it showed 100% oil level. And in 6 trips so far this spring, it has stayed at 100%! Now, most of those trips involved very little running on plane, but yesterday I ran approximately 20 miles during the day. Still showed 100% this morning, so I pulled the starboard cowling and sneaked a peak at the reservoir. It appears that the oil level now is just below (barely below) the top of the “main” reservoir body. With the long filler tube, it’s quite possible that up to 1/2 gallon of oil could be held in the tube or “neck” alone. So A, my guess is that when I topped off the oil originally, I must have completely filled the tube, and B, the percentage reading on the Icon gauge must refer to only the portion of oil in the main tank, not the filler tube. Does this sound correct? I thought that when I got this motor, 2 gallons of oil would show as 80% on the gauge if it contained 1.6 gallons, but now I have doubts that it actually works that way....
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

The sensor sets at the top of the main reservoir, the oil that is in the fill tube will not affect the 100 % reading until it is drops below the sensor.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Thank you. Makes sense, since there is no place to put a sensor in the fill tube. But that fill tube holds a lot of oil! I’ve put 7.5 hours on the engine and logged approximately 40 miles and still on 100%. Dang!

4. Member
    Mine does the same type of thing. First tank of oil my sensor did not read very well at all. Went from 100% to 50%. Not sure if it was stuck or what was going on but refilled it (all the way to the top accidentally) and it now is showing 60% after another 18 hours or so. Appears to only change in increments of 10% but at least its working better. Only real complaint I've had with the motor and that is minor at best. I can deal with that!

About 25 hours on it now. Motor is a beast!
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Totally a beast. Guys who say they are thinking about getting a G2 have no idea what they are missing. Easiest starting, smoothest idling, most economical, and when you punch the throttle...nothing touches it for instant, raw power. And I’m enjoying all of the other advanced features, too. I look forward to going fishing now more than ever, just to run the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    I have a new G2 225, awesome in every way, but the oil readings on the Icon gauge are a little surprising. The reservoir is supposed to hold 2 gallons, and the dealer put 1 gallon into the reservoir while setting up the motor. When I picked up the boat, the Icon gauge showed oil level at 59%. When I got home, I put approximately 1/2 gallon into the reservoir, at which point it showed 100% oil level. And in 6 trips so far this spring, it has stayed at 100%! Now, most of those trips involved very little running on plane, but yesterday I ran approximately 20 miles during the day. Still showed 100% this morning, so I pulled the starboard cowling and sneaked a peak at the reservoir. It appears that the oil level now is just below (barely below) the top of the “main” reservoir body. With the long filler tube, it’s quite possible that up to 1/2 gallon of oil could be held in the tube or “neck” alone. So A, my guess is that when I topped off the oil originally, I must have completely filled the tube, and B, the percentage reading on the Icon gauge must refer to only the portion of oil in the main tank, not the filler tube. Does this sound correct? I thought that when I got this motor, 2 gallons of oil would show as 80% on the gauge if it contained 1.6 gallons, but now I have doubts that it actually works that way....
    Mine was exactly the way you described it......But it read 30% when the low oil alarm came on. So prepare to refill way before the 30% mark......Plus anyone else reading this that has one, remember to trim down before you refill.

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Totally a beast. Guys who say they are thinking about getting a G2 have no idea what they are missing. Easiest starting, smoothest idling, most economical, and when you punch the throttle...nothing touches it for instant, raw power. And I’m enjoying all of the other advanced features, too. I look forward to going fishing now more than ever, just to run the boat.
    Its unreal! My partner is blown away every time we go out. Paired with our 519s, it truly is like a jet ski when coming out of the hole. And the lift is spooky scary on that 519.

8. Member
    John, it’s crazy at how much these engines don’t use. I was the same way with about all my G2. I even made a trip to Jetta a couple times thinking the float was hung, really un real how these engines operate and run.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosterman View Post
    Mine was exactly the way you described it......But it read 30% when the low oil alarm came on. So prepare to refill way before the 30% mark......Plus anyone else reading this that has one, remember to trim down before you refill.
    Yes sir, if you check that gauge trimed up it show almost empty, strictly no no to fill with it trimed up!!

10. Member
    My alarm went off last night on my analog gauge showing low oil motor went to safety mode. Switched my icon to check oil level it showed full. So I started motor back up tried to go and it died again and wouldn’t start back up. When I turned my key off and back on my icon showed empty. Had to troll in. It’s a 2017 G2 250 with just over a 100 hrs.

11. Member
    my dealer figured i would get 50 hours out of the first 2 gallons of oil (i'm skeptical but will see).

the jet ski analogy on the holeshot is spot on - i had so much lift in my boat i had to raise the jackplate to get it under control.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

12. Member
    Well I just got home,took side panel off and my oil tank is full. My dealer seems to think it’s the oil sensor. Turned the key to on just to check if said full or empty icon says 70%. But now I have something running like a fuel or oil pump and won’t stop

13. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Dealer needs to hook up his laptop. Should show exactly what the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by joebone1 View Post
    my dealer figured i would get 50 hours out of the first 2 gallons of oil (i'm skeptical but will see).

the jet ski analogy on the holeshot is spot on - i had so much lift in my boat i had to raise the jackplate to get it under control.
    I have right at 100 hrs on my 225hp G2 and I currently have 10 empty XD 100 1 gallon jugs. The dealer put in one gallon of XD 50 when he rigged it. The engine is full right now so that means I have used approximately 9 gallons of oil for 100 hrs of run time. According to all the oil threads G2's don't use oil but mine sure does. I roughly calculated the oil consumption a while back and it uses about 2 oz per gallon of fuel which isn't bad but it adds up.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishfelon View Post
    I have right at 100 hrs on my 225hp G2 and I currently have 10 empty XD 100 1 gallon jugs. The dealer put in one gallon of XD 50 when he rigged it. The engine is full right now so that means I have used approximately 9 gallons of oil for 100 hrs of run time. According to all the oil threads G2's don't use oil but mine sure does. I roughly calculated the oil consumption a while back and it uses about 2 oz per gallon of fuel which isn't bad but it adds up.
    64:1, isnt bad at all. That means you have used approximately 576 gallons of gas in those 100 hours, and averaged only 5.76 gallons of gas an hour. Id take that fuel economy all day on a 225hp.

16. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    We all run differently as far as speed and fuel/oil consumption. I have a little over 10 hours on my G2 and have used less than 1/2 gallon of oil. Close to 90% idle time, not necessarily by design. We had the coldest April on record, and where we fished it wasn’t possible to run much anyway.

I'm running between 35-50 mph 90% of the time to get that 2 oz per gallon. With the price of gas going up and up I won't be using that much oil this year.