Anyone here in the Brick business?

Contemplating switching careers and working for my uncles brick business as a salesman/office manager. His current and only office is 1.5 hours away, but he is getting a lot and more of his business lately where my family and I live in a major city. He’s trying to find a warehouse near me to to use now since it’s picked up so much in the past year.

Anyways, I’ve been looking for a career change, and I’ve never done sales, but I’m hopeful this can turn into something good, and I would also get the opportunity to buy the company when he retires in 4/5 years.

So how do y’all foresee the brick industry in the next 20/30 years? It seems like I see a new house/business every week popping up. I’m just not sure if I wanna try the sales route. Thoughts on this field?

2. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Is he a bricklayer you mean? Commercial or residential focus?

3. Member
    He sales bricks to builders, businesses and homeowners, along with doors and overhead garage doors he sales too.

I honestly don’t know too much about his business, it’s just something I’ve been approached about lately.

4. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    I can’t really speak to any trends in current building material choices, but as long as man inhabits earth, we will need to build structures. I’d say it’s pretty likely a stable career choice

5. Banned
    Turn key and supplies the masons ? And sells bricks to brick mason companies that do commercial buildings ?

6. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Can't see it going away. Just going to be how much building is going to be going on. As of lately I don't see it ending any time soon.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    Can't see it going away. Just going to be how much building is going to be going on. As of lately I don't see it ending any time soon.
    Not anytime soon in Nashville

8. Member
    I believe the brick trade will always be around. However like anything connected with construction there are going to
    be slow times. The recession in 2008 hit the construction industry hard. It took 6 to 7 years to recover, get back to
    normal. Ask your uncle about that time period. You just have to be prepared for that.

He sells bricks to builders, businesses and homeowners, along with the doors and overhead garage doors he sells also.

I honestly don’t know too much about his business, it’s just something I’ve been approached about lately.
    Last edited by BOATS; 04-23-2018 at 04:04 AM.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

Around our area there is more Man Made stone going up instead of brick ... I was a Brick Mason for 30 yrs until Health put Me on the bench..

11. Member
    You deserve a brick today.

Quote Originally Posted by BOATS View Post
    He sells bricks to builders, businesses and homeowners, along with the doors and overhead garage doors he sells also.

If you don't know much about it drive the 1 1/2 hours and spend a day with him. Heck spend as many days with him as possible. Absorb as much info as possible. Know the products you'll be selling. Not only that a brick is rectangle and garage doors go up and down. If sales is what you'll dat first you'll be on the road more than the office.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

I used to work in a brick factory/plant. Compared to that, selling them should be a pretty easy job. (Then again, compared to that, push mowing 40 acres in 100 degree weather is easy)
    I think the new secret color is "A-Rig"..........

14. Member
    I would think writing estimates would be a big part of what you were going to do. That may take some training

15. Banned
    ....and learn your mortar also