Weiss lake for a newbie

Never been there before...got the ABT coming up.in a few weeks, is it at all similar to Neely other than being above the dam? Grass and or shallow water...I can see by the map that it has a very defined channel...is there anything to worry about as far as obstructions? Info appreciated..?
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

There are places that if you run outside that channel you are risking your lower, lots of wood. Above (east of) the Rt 9 bridge it gets shallow quick in a lot of areas, so if you plan on going there be extra careful! Looks like the lake is full pool, but still somewhere you have to respect when running around. Good luck in the ABT
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

The lake has a bad but earned reputation. The channels are not always well marked and there can be timber sticking up in the channel! There also the floating logs that can be out there. It gets shallow real quick in many, many places. The best advice I can give is to always run the channel with your GPS and checking it with the limited amount of channel markers. Set the boat down in the channel then idle into where you want to fish. Also, some local guys know the lake VERY well and use short cuts. Don’t get tempted to follow someone. I know a few that are great but if I am off by a foot or two and I will smack a stump. Be cautious and alert and you will be fine.

Buzz bait in and around grass can be real effective. Zoom Trick or Finesse worm in red bug is a good color for the lake. Use it on a Tx rig or especially on a slider head. Another good one is an ultravibe speed worm in GP red.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by 06 SB; 04-22-2018 at 07:05 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Thanks fellas...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

5. Member
    What they said i havent been ina few years but the bouy markers can be miss leading at times because there so far apart. Get a good map and study where the bouys are i was running up through thought i saw the next one little did i know the channel swinged to the right and up on stumps i went LOL.

6. Member
    How shallow is too shallow to run? Say if I am deeper than 5-6 feet on Navionics am I clear?

7. Member
    lets say this i myself rank weiss right there with reelfoot as far as stumps and trees in the channels are concerned LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MidTNFisherman View Post
    How shallow is too shallow to run? Say if I am deeper than 5-6 feet on Navionics am I clear?
    Maybe...some parts of the lake yes, others no.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

9. Member
    Weiss is the by far most difficult lake to run in I fish or have ever fished in. It is one of a kind for sure.

10. Dogfish_Jones
    Very tough lake to navigate! ALWAYS drive expecting something to be in front of you. I never have ran WOT there, I kinda like keeping the foot of my motor attached.

11. Netman extraordinaire Coosa Redeye's Avatar
    Weiss can be bad to navigate. Take the above advice and do not run WOT. Take a couple days to practice running around out there slow. Get some good tracks on the gps. Then you can go faster on tourney day.

All that being said, Weiss is my favorite lake, bar none. Have fun there and be careful.
    2015 Nitro Z8
    2015 Mercury Optimax 250
    2019 Chevy Silverado