Smith Mountain Lake

is the spawn in full swing?

2. Member
    Late this week it will be
    2021 Phoenix 921 Elite/Mercury 250 Pro XS

3. Member
    Not quite, Fished club tournament this past weekend and caught several females that were staging. We won with 15.45lbs.

Full moon coming this weekend with warming temps later this week.

There's probably a decent amount of smallmouth spawning on the lake, but the big green ones will be in full swing this weekend.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Don't want to hijack this thread but we have a club tournament this weekend up there (2 days)... I've only been there once a few years ago... From what I remember the lake is huge and has a lot of docks. Can I expect to be flipping docks all weekend?

We're staying here

Any hints would be great. I'm a little over 2 hours from the lake so needless to say it's not one I frequent.
    Family is everything!!! Fishing is a close second
    2010 TR-18 Pro w/150 OptiMax & Dual 8' Blades

6. Member
    its gonna be dirty, id throw a shallow bright crank
    2004 Ranger 521vx Yamaha 250 SHO

I did hear the lake is dirty with the rain... Do you know if any spots are clear relatively close to where we're putting in at (4020 Morewood rd, Hardy VA)

8. Member
    Just spent three days their last weekend while my son fished the FLW college tourney. Caught them great on points on Friday. Averaging 3 lbs a fish or better. They shut down on Saturday. The winning bags were caught bed fishing in the Roanoke arm of the lake. Last weekend temps from State Park down lake were 53-55. I assume it was warmer up lake. I do not know Smith Mountain Lake well. Just reporting what I saw and heard at the college weigh in. I would imagine they will be on the bank this weekend. Good luck
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

9. Member
    I'd go sight fishing in Craddock creek if I was fishing this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by PsuHntr View Post
    I'd go sight fishing in Craddock creek if I was fishing this weekend
    Tried to look on google maps "as the crow flies" and looks like thats about a 10 mile haul from where we're putting in at.

Quote Originally Posted by lunker56 View Post
    Just spent three days their last weekend while my son fished the FLW college tourney. Caught them great on points on Friday. Averaging 3 lbs a fish or better. They shut down on Saturday. The winning bags were caught bed fishing in the Roanoke arm of the lake. Last weekend temps from State Park down lake were 53-55. I assume it was warmer up lake. I do not know Smith Mountain Lake well. Just reporting what I saw and heard at the college weigh in. I would imagine they will be on the bank this weekend. Good luck
    Thanks...for the info..were they deep on points or pushed up?

Quote Originally Posted by lilbuddy View Post
    Tried to look on google maps "as the crow flies" and looks like thats about a 10 mile haul from where we're putting in at.
    Try Stoney Creek just down the lake from where you will be, or just stay where you are, plenty of fish in that area.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lilbuddy View Post
    10 miles isn’t a far run. That’s a 15 minute ride at the most.
    05’ Skeeter TZX200, Yamaha 200hp HPDI
    00’ Skeeter SX186, Yamaha 150hp VMax.
    PRO-FORMANCE FISHING TEAM.

14. Member
    Hardy is a long run to craddocks creek

They were in about 15ft plus.... it was tough out there.. very windy... whitecaps on the main lake plus all the other bigger boats making big wakes.. that made for a tough ride down the lake... Sunday was chilly for the most of the day and the wind just beat you up.

Got a good one 15ft cranking on saturday...lost at the boat...had the net in one hand and the rod in the other...he got slack in it...jumped right in front of me and shook the hook...was at least a 5lb... losing him was tough..that was my only bite on Saturday. I should have taken note on where they were..instead I was stubborn and flipped docks and 1st place and 2nd won carolina rig in 15-20 ft.... I finished 3rd which gave me enough points to take first place ytd by 2 points

Saw 3 on the same bed Sunday. One bit, the others came out and then not interested. One we caught was 4.5 lb female with eggs. Finished the day with 13 to 5 pounds.

"I'm just looking for a bite"

17. Member
    I didn't get to fish much this weekend but I caught one on a sunfish swimbait in about 10ft off a dock. water was suprisingly clear considering all the rain. I did have a chance to observe a bass for a while, he was really zoned in on the sunfish/bluegill and was all over them like white on rice

18. Member
    At the lake for the next week. Catching a few any pointers of places to go. Don't fish here much just here on a vacation.