Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyJ View Post
    Until recently, yes. Now units that will do wireless Apple CarPlay or Android Auto are hitting the market. Whats your budget? Because these units will push it. The only current wireless apple car play unit on the market is an Alpine. Its $700, and does not have a disc drive.
    Well I dont want to go 700 on just a head unit as i'm not that into new tech etc. I however do want some of the new functionality thats out there. Would like to possibly be in the 500 range for everything. Can be flexible if I feel the juice is worth the squeeze.

So it appears to use apply car play you need a corded connection and the USB port is on the back of the unit. Are you installing a port etc on the front bezel or something. I assume you wouldnt just leave a cord dangling on the floor.

I'm probably just not understanding something.

2. Member
    Funny how much this stuff has changed. I remember back in my fast and the furious days I had a ranger with a tricked out system. Had some sort of high end head unit to amps to MB Quarts components and a small sub behind the seat. I was never into the stupid bass that shakes the neighbors car but I do appreciate good sound. That system sounded fantastic. Mounting the tweeters up high made such a drastic sound difference.

And now we are basically running computers lol

3. #FRB
    Just be lucky you can swap out your factory headunit for a nice aftermarket one. You really can't swap out the headunit in mine unless you get the Tesla style and I've heard those have reliability issues. Just going by what people in my circle have experienced when using the Tesla units. In my Jeep I had to use a PAC factory amp bypass harness to get clean signal from factory screen, then run rca cables to my processor and cables from processor to amps business as usual. Started out tapping into the factory amp with the help of a JL Fix82 and well, had to use the master volume for the processor because factory volume changes eq curve as you turn it up and down. And the factory amp has a "timbre" to it that not all the tuning in the world can get rid of. Your sound will only be as good as the signal being fed to it. Now my factory headunit puts out the same clean signal an aftermarket unit would. I'm all about sound quality and proper imaging and staging. Audiofrog speakers run by Zapco amps and a Minidsp processor. If you're not familiar with Audiofrog the owner of it worked for Harman (JBL, Infinty, Harman Kardon) for years and designed a lot of stuff for them. He retired and started Audiofrog and puts out an awesome product for the money. www.audiofrog.com
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Well I dont want to go 700 on just a head unit as i'm not that into new tech etc. I however do want some of the new functionality thats out there. Would like to possibly be in the 500 range for everything. Can be flexible if I feel the juice is worth the squeeze.

So it appears to use apply car play you need a corded connection and the USB port is on the back of the unit. Are you installing a port etc on the front bezel or something. I assume you wouldnt just leave a cord dangling on the floor.

Yes.....you leave a cord plugged in to the back USB port when you install the radio. You can run the cord to your glove box and then access it when you get in the truck and plug in your phone.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel14 View Post
    I also solder and tape all my connections.
    If you're going to solder why use tape? Use heat shrink.

My truck has a basic double din head unit with CD / radio etc. Would like to upgrade to a more modern unit where I can incorporate a backup camera and bluetoooth. Would also like to upgrade the steering wheel to one with the controls but that would be at a later date.

Anyone have recommendations on a unit. Truck is a 2012 f350.
    Pioneer is a really good option. Look at the bottom and it will show you similar units to look at. Pioneer does require you to wire this green wire for ground to the parking brake. This ensures you cant watch movies while driving. There is a way around this....youtube shows some videos to get around doing this.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130244....html?tp=72406 Link to Pioneer unit.
    " A Few Good Fish"

7. Member
    Yes.....you leave a cord plugged in to the back USB port when you install the radio. You can run the cord to your glove box and then access it when you get in the truck and plug in your phone.
    Hummmmmm wonder if I could incorporate some sort of port where my Aux in port is at. Not liking the idea of a cable hanging in the glove box. What would be great is somehow getting a port in the center console.

8. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by g352nv View Post
    If you're going to solder why use tape? Use heat shrink.
    Tape works good in a pinch but it has to be good tape like Super 33. I use tape because I can never find my heat shrink when I need it but when I do tape I do it where it's not going anywhere until it's time for it to come off. But then again soldering takes practice. I swear some people would be better off using crimp connectors.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

9. #FRB
    When I had my double din in my last truck everyone asked me why I didn't override the safety feature so I could do unsafe things while driving. My response was "why?" I ran the green wire to the e-brake just like I was supposed to.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

Hummmmmm wonder if I could incorporate some sort of port where my Aux in port is at. Not liking the idea of a cable hanging in the glove box. What would be great is somehow getting a port in the center console.
    YouTube has several videos on how to do that......
    " A Few Good Fish"

11. Member
    Pioneer is a really good option. Look at the bottom and it will show you similar units to look at. Pioneer does require you to wire this green wire for ground to the parking brake. This ensures you cant watch movies while driving. There is a way around this....youtube shows some videos to get around doing this.

When you say watch movies do you mean DVD's. I have zero desire to watch dvds and in all honesty would prefer to not even have a cd/dvd port. Now there could be times I would maybe want to stream a live sporting event or something from the phone to the unit. Not really even looking to "watch" the event but would be nice to hear what was going on. Such as FLW live heading to the lake would be nice.

12. Banned
    My truck has a basic double din head unit with CD / radio etc. Would like to upgrade to a more modern unit where I can incorporate a backup camera and bluetoooth. Would also like to upgrade the steering wheel to one with the controls but that would be at a later date.

Anyone have recommendations on a unit. Truck is a 2012 f350.
    I put a Power acoustics in mine. Has Bluetooth with built in speaker, The best Nav out of any radio I've seen stock or aftermarket and even plays DVDs. It does have a back up camera feature but I still know how to drive a truck so I haven't hooked that part up yet.

13. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 12bass View Post
    Was it the Tesla unit?
    bingo........... https://phoenixandroidradios.com/col...ertical-screen

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    Garbage do not buy one of these. I have one in the garage and it's had some major issues. They keep saying call for tech help but are always "busy".

When you say watch movies do you mean DVD's. I have zero desire to watch dvds and in all honesty would prefer to not even have a cd/dvd port. Now there could be times I would maybe want to stream a live sporting event or something from the phone to the unit. Not really even looking to "watch" the event but would be nice to hear what was going on. Such as FLW live heading to the lake would be nice.
    Check out this....

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130230....html?tp=72406
    " A Few Good Fish"

16. Member

The usb thing gets tricky.

Kenwood has a non-usb plug into the back of their radio, that one of their own proprietary USB cables plugs into. Its a set length. You plug in an apple phone, or android phone, using a cable for that brand, into the kenwood cable. The radio tells which program to open according to the resistance seen on that line. Android phones have a different internal resistance than apple. The problem is, if you use too long of a cable (typically anything over 3 foot), neither program will work at all. Or, it may not work consistently. Shorter than 3 foot, you still need a quality cable (internal larger diameter copper strands, no aluminum, etc), which is usually those that cost over $20. Pioneer on the other hand, has a USB input for Apple, and one for Android phones. Plug the cable into the specific port. If you use the supplied 4 foot long usb cables, and run both, you have to keep with short usb-to-phone cables. Some of the dash flush mount usb adapters are up to 6 foot long and throw the resistances off, messing with the operation of either program. The best advice I can give, do a flush mount usb adapter that has less than 3 foot long cables. I believe PAC makes one, and even vehicle specific models. But I will need to research the exact model number.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    Just be lucky you can swap out your factory headunit for a nice aftermarket one. You really can't swap out the headunit in mine unless you get the Tesla style and I've heard those have reliability issues. Just going by what people in my circle have experienced when using the Tesla units. In my Jeep I had to use a PAC factory amp bypass harness to get clean signal from factory screen, then run rca cables to my processor and cables from processor to amps business as usual. Started out tapping into the factory amp with the help of a JL Fix82 and well, had to use the master volume for the processor because factory volume changes eq curve as you turn it up and down. And the factory amp has a "timbre" to it that not all the tuning in the world can get rid of. Your sound will only be as good as the signal being fed to it. Now my factory headunit puts out the same clean signal an aftermarket unit would. I'm all about sound quality and proper imaging and staging. Audiofrog speakers run by Zapco amps and a Minidsp processor. If you're not familiar with Audiofrog the owner of it worked for Harman (JBL, Infinty, Harman Kardon) for years and designed a lot of stuff for them. He retired and started Audiofrog and puts out an awesome product for the money. www.audiofrog.com

Now that idatalink is shipping the vehicle specific harness's for their DSR-1 (marketed under rockford fosgate brand) for less than $300 you have a adapter that will install with zero wire cutting or splicing, full re-eq of the factory signal, with linear volume control, and 31 band eq per channel. The PAC harness that will give a clean output for your vehicle is about $250. And RF as well as Kenwood make an amp that will connect to the DSR-1 via a digital signal cable. RF has one amp with a DSR1 built in. And I think Audison and Hertz also have amps with inputs from the DSR-1 built in.

idatalink being the company that makes the Maestro harness. Any vehicle they make a part for, its superior than every other brand that makes a similar part, essentially.

18. Member

Except on some of the new units (the one in their video is 3-4 years old now) will also read from the navigation app if your phone is plugged in via usb, and regardless of the connection on the green parking brake cable, when that gps shows the vehicle in motion, they will lock out the video.

19. Member
    I most likely will go with that model

20. Member
    So let me ask probably a dumb question. So if I go with this mastero harness its plug and play ?? No cutting / splicing / cursing etc? Take out old unit, plug in new harness, plug in new head unit, and go down the road ?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast