Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyJ View Post

Also, back to your original post. If you truck does not have radio controls in the steering wheel now, its pretty much impossible to add them later.
    Is this because the wires are not ran through the steering wheel from the factory ? My steering wheel has the cruise control settings on the left and on the right the space where volume etc controls could have gone. Just a little blank cover and I was hoping ford ran the wires or whatever in all the wheels but didnt include the buttons if the model wasnt to have the option. Ive seen on ebay where I can buy the controls so was hoping to just pop that cover and plug them in.

2. Banned
    My ram is a tradesmen. I bought a steering wheel off eBay with steering wheel controls. Added the pioneer double din and mastro unit. Steering wheel controls work with no issues.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    So let me ask probably a dumb question. So if I go with this mastero harness its plug and play ?? No cutting / splicing / cursing etc? Take out old unit, plug in new harness, plug in new head unit, and go down the road ?
    Yes basic install. You will have to set the mastro box up on your computer before plugging it in.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by g352nv View Post
    Yes basic install. You will have to set the mastro box up on your computer before plugging it in.
    So what does this Mastro box do. Does it just convert the truck computer signal to something the head unit can understand ?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by g352nv View Post
    My ram is a tradesmen. I bought a steering wheel off eBay with steering wheel controls. Added the pioneer double din and mastro unit. Steering wheel controls work with no issues.
    Did you have to run wires down the column to the unit or were they already there ?

6. Banned
    Did you have to run wires down the column to the unit or were they already there ?
    Nope it was all plug and play. No wires to run.

7. Banned
    So what does this Mastro box do. Does it just convert the truck computer signal to something the head unit can understand ?
    I think so. Plus it makes the backup camera and steering wheel controls work.

8. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyJ View Post
    Now that idatalink is shipping the vehicle specific harness's for their DSR-1 (marketed under rockford fosgate brand) for less than $300 you have a adapter that will install with zero wire cutting or splicing, full re-eq of the factory signal, with linear volume control, and 31 band eq per channel. The PAC harness that will give a clean output for your vehicle is about $250. And RF as well as Kenwood make an amp that will connect to the DSR-1 via a digital signal cable. RF has one amp with a DSR1 built in. And I think Audison and Hertz also have amps with inputs from the DSR-1 built in.

idatalink being the company that makes the Maestro harness. Any vehicle they make a part for, its superior than every other brand that makes a similar part, essentially.
    The Maestro AR didn't have the harness I needed when I got the PAC unit. And I didn't realize PAC had a reliable option when I got the Fix82. And I'm not a fan of RF processors. I know enough people who had unreliable 360.3's to never give RF processors a shot. I'm a very involved member in the car audio community. And the Minidsp cdsp 8x12 blows just about every reasonably priced processor out of the water with its capabilities. Only one better overall that MIGHT be under $1000 if you look hard enough is the Helix dsp pro. The Minidsp is just over $500 shipped. And Madisound and Parts Express carries them now so no need to buy direct from Hong Kong. Not knocking the dsr1 though because it will get a lot of people to an acceptable tune even though I've heard mixed reviews about it. I just take it a step further and do an SQ comp style tune and have been in quite a few competition winning cars. Also a member of diyma and caraudiojunkies.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    The Maestro AR didn't have the harness I needed when I got the PAC unit. And I didn't realize PAC had a reliable option when I got the Fix82. And I'm not a fan of RF processors. I know enough people who had unreliable 360.3's to never give RF processors a shot. I'm a very involved member in the car audio community. And the Minidsp cdsp 8x12 blows just about every reasonably priced processor out of the water with its capabilities. Only one better overall that MIGHT be under $1000 if you look hard enough is the Helix dsp pro. The Minidsp is just over $500 shipped. And Madisound and Parts Express carries them now so no need to buy direct from Hong Kong. Not knocking the dsr1 though because it will get a lot of people to an acceptable tune even though I've heard mixed reviews about it. I just take it a step further and do an SQ comp style tune and have been in quite a few competition winning cars. Also a member of diyma and caraudiojunkies.
    Ohhh lord man you are going 1000% beyond what I require LOL. Im definitely not into competition audio or anything. Im just trying to figure out some descent stuff that will have a few of the new features which seem to come stock on trucks today.

10. Member
    Another quick question. Do I need a bezel kit for this replacement unit. The factory unit is basically flush with no bezel so didnt know if the aftermarket units were the same or needed a bezel specific to the unit / truck.

11. Member
    Another quick question. Do I need a bezel kit for this replacement unit. The factory unit is basically flush with no bezel so didnt know if the aftermarket units were the same or needed a bezel specific to the unit / truck.
    Yes sir you will need the dash kit. I listed the part number earlier in the thread.

12. Member
    Just going to toss this in for those that want to keep their factory head, navigation and steering wheel controls.

I did my 2016 F150 by running the out wires to an amp then to a crossover and speakers. It kept things pretty simple. Change speakers run wire bundles and solder like a madman.

This vid was incredibly helpful!

13. Member
    i cut the dash of my ranger and installed a kenwood double din dvd player.. went surprisingly smooth.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

14. Member
    Didn't want to start a new thread so I am resurrecting this one I started months ago. Got tied up in other stuff and pushed this to the back burner. Finally back to looking into this and want to order within the next couple days.

Thinking about the model below. Also will order the Mastero box to hook everything up.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130240...-play-CDs.html

Any thoughts. Tech changes quickly so if this looks a little behind let me know. Curious about something as well. I believe Apple CarPlay is just a way of controlling your phone through the head unit. Is this connection using Bluetooth with this head unit? I don't think I saw anything indicating that or a cord.
    Last edited by Axkiker; 12-04-2018 at 12:49 PM.

15. Member
    Also anyone know if they offer a dash kit that includes the USB ports. Appears they have an entire kit for 2015 up trucks but not older. I would pay extra for an aftermarket dash kit that included that option vs hacking something up.

https://www.amazon.com/MVH-2400NEX-M...ds=MVH-2400NEX

16. Member
    Crutchfield , call them tell them what you have and what you want they will design the a couple packages for you no guessing super easy step by step. Pick the one you want order it no running around. When it comes easy to follow instructions. If you get hung up call them if need to shoot them a picture while on the phone.....try that at best buy

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratosjoe View Post
    Crutchfield , call them tell them what you have and what you want they will design the a couple packages for you no guessing super easy step by step. Pick the one you want order it no running around. When it comes easy to follow instructions. If you get hung up call them if need to shoot them a picture while on the phone.....try that at best buy
    That was good advice. Got on the site and was able to have a tech put together a kit for install. Paid the extra 25.00 to have the harness pre spliced to hopefully make it a little easier. They really made it super easy and could answer any question I had.

They are slightly more expensive. I could have probably saved 75.00 or so pricing everything out from Amazon. But the tech seemed to be getting commission from the sale so I didn't want to burn him. Felt the 75.00 was worth knowing its exactly what I needed.

18. #FRB
    I buy pretty much all my bigger ticket audio gear from Crutchfield now unless it's a boutique audio product. Yeah you're paying pretty much full retail with them but they're great to deal with. GOOD brick and mortar car audio shops are getting few and far between. Around here it's mostly one shop bashing the other shop's products hoping the customer is ignorant enough to believe them.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

19. #FRB
    And when it comes to middle of the road headunits Pioneer is the brand to have.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

20. Member
    Crutchfield is the way to go, Ordered my 4th radio from them 2 days ago. Great service and lifetime tech advice

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast