Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    buy from crutchfield and have shop install - just had this one put in with some polk speakers

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV...XAV-AX100.html

2. Member
    So im finding out that I don't even know all the features offered now. What features do you all have that you feel is a must? Seems some like the unit to have Nav but some dont as your phone would be updated more often.

I have never even had a truck with backup sensors LOL. So this is all new tech to me.

3. Member
    Another quick question. Do you have to plug in your phone to use all the features of apple I play?

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Another quick question. Do you have to plug in your phone to use all the features of apple I play?
    I do on mine.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Most aftermarket radios that use Apple Airplay or Android auto will have a USB plug on the back of the radio that you plug your phone into. Make sure you plug into the correct USB port. On Crutchfields website you punch in your vehicle information and it will tell you which radios/speakers etc...will fit your vehicle. Its not as difficult as you think to install a radio but if you are not mechanically inclined it might seem a bit overwhelming. YouTube has some great videos but Crutchfield sends you detailed information on how to install it.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel14 View Post
    Most aftermarket radios that use Apple Airplay or Android auto will have a USB plug on the back of the radio that you plug your phone into. Make sure you plug into the correct USB port. On Crutchfields website you punch in your vehicle information and it will tell you which radios/speakers etc...will fit your vehicle. Its not as difficult as you think to install a radio but if you are not mechanically inclined it might seem a bit overwhelming. YouTube has some great videos but Crutchfield sends you detailed information on how to install it.
    Im definitely skilled enough to install a system I just dont know the current technology. Man how times change lol

7. Banned
    Im running a double din pioneer unit in my Ram. I went with the Mastro unit to tie all the features in. I get RPM and all the gauges from my Cummins.

8. Member
    So what do you mean by "Media reader" and that they have no disk drives ? I cant imagine I need this feature but im curious none the less.

Media readers have no disc drives at all. Only AM/FM, and whatever you plug into the USB or AUX ports. Possibly a SiriusXM tuner.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironoutlaw View Post
    Is there a big GPS unit that has knobs? I love having a volume and tuner knob. Don't mind touch screen for everything else but I really want an easy to grab volume knob
    Kenwood had one but the new unit does not have a knob. Sony has a Apple Carplay unit with a small volume knob. You can use the navigation app on the phone through the radio for your navigation.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstondry View Post
    While not in a truck, I had this same unit installed in my car. It cost more to install the thing than it cost for the unit though, doh! Still no regrets!

Some vehicles this is the case. Most made since 2014 for sure. I priced just the dash kit to fit a new radio in a 2014 Charger the other day, $600 for the kit alone.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 518RangerJeff View Post
    Sure would be nice to have a front camera also. Can't tell you how many times I could have pulled up farther but I was afraid I would hit the car in front of me.
    Several units had dual camera inputs. Kenwoods specifically come to mind. I think one or two of the Pioneers do as well but I can not think of the model number off the top of my head.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom B View Post
    buy from crutchfield and have shop install - just had this one put in with some polk speakers

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV...XAV-AX100.html

Crutchfield prices directly at MSRP on most items. They "might" throw in the install accessories for free, for some vehicles. But with more and more using more advanced harness's and such to integrate to the vehicles factory computers (required for some vehicles) they just discount some of the parts. It may be cheaper to get local.

For example, Best Buy runs free install on some units time to time. Or if you get the unit, install parts, and install labor there may be a discount of say 15%. It literally changes week to week.

13. Member
    So im finding out that I don't even know all the features offered now. What features do you all have that you feel is a must? Seems some like the unit to have Nav but some dont as your phone would be updated more often.

I have never even had a truck with backup sensors LOL. So this is all new tech to me.

The advantage to a unit with nav built in "was" that the nav programs on your phone lost location if you lost cell service. The units in the radio have their own GPS antenna and do not lose service. Now some of the units with Apple Carplay/Android Auto do come with GPS antenna that work with the apps in the phone. Its usually the higher priced units ($600 and up). The app in the phone, Waze comes to mind, you do not need to buy updates every year or two, they update automatically when the app is updated.

14. Member

Until recently, yes. Now units that will do wireless Apple CarPlay or Android Auto are hitting the market. Whats your budget? Because these units will push it. The only current wireless apple car play unit on the market is an Alpine. Its $700, and does not have a disc drive.
    Last edited by CoreyJ; 04-23-2018 at 11:21 PM.

15. Member
    Im definitely skilled enough to install a system I just dont know the current technology. Man how times change lol
    The thing now is to make sure if the vehicle has a data connection between the computers and the radio, that you get a harness that can interpret that data so you do not lose functionality of other things in the vehicle. Such as airbags, or warning lights/chimes. Or factory installed backup sensors.

Some shops use butt crimps on connections. Some use bullet crimps, or bell caps. I solder and heat shrink everything. Most shops will wire the backup gamera ground to the vehicle frame, and the + to the reverse light wire at one of the rear lights. Indeed that is what the instructions tell you to do, and what crutchfields instructions also tell you to do. I personally extend power and ground and run them along with the video cable up to the radio and connect them there. That way if you lose camera functionality, you have to pull the headunit anyway to check the connector. Can also test power and ground connections right there as well. Keep everything in one spot. Also, a lot of the new radios have a feature to let you view the camera input the entire time the vehicle is on. Can't do that if the camera itself does not have power and only gets power when the vehicle is put in reverse.

In your truck, for the radio. On your dash, beneath air-vents, there are some 4 sided parts. One will have a 12 volt power socket, the other might have one, or a aux input, or a 4wd knob, or something, or be blank. At the bottom edges of those pieces are little square holes to insert something to pop the plastic pieces lose. Do not do that with a screwdriver it will scratch the dash. Get a $4 plastic panel tool from harbour freight. After those are gone its either a 7mm socket, or a t-20 torx bit to remove. Then the entire dash bezel around air vents and all just snaps free. Then 4 7mm screws holding the radio in place. The camera will be a trick tho. The one that goes over the truck bed is probably the easiest to run. But one that mounts on the license plate, or in the ford emblem, is a bit of a pain to run the wires back to front, under the truck, zip tied up every 6-8 inches to keep out of the way of moving parts, and then into the cabin. For sure, get a professional to do it.

Also, back to your original post. If you truck does not have radio controls in the steering wheel now, its pretty much impossible to add them later.
    Last edited by CoreyJ; 04-23-2018 at 11:14 PM.

16. Member
    I need to find a way to quote multiple posts and reply to them all at one on one giant post.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by g352nv View Post
    Im running a double din pioneer unit in my Ram. I went with the Mastro unit to tie all the features in. I get RPM and all the gauges from my Cummins.
    That harness is the sh!t. I love them.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyJ View Post
    That harness is the sh!t. I love them.
    It really is and makes install super easy. Back up camera, steering wheel controls, gauges, its awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyJ View Post
    Crutchfield prices directly at MSRP on most items. They "might" throw in the install accessories for free, for some vehicles. But with more and more using more advanced harness's and such to integrate to the vehicles factory computers (required for some vehicles) they just discount some of the parts. It may be cheaper to get local.

For example, Best Buy runs free install on some units time to time. Or if you get the unit, install parts, and install labor there may be a discount of say 15%. It literally changes week to week.
    Amazon is another great place to shop. Research on Crutchfield.
    " A Few Good Fish"

I also solder and tape all my connections.
    " A Few Good Fish"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast