Johnson 175GT J175STLCEB - overheating

So I recently re[place the impeller for the water pump and I think I might have messed up the water tube. I am not getting enough water pressure and the motor is definitely overheating. I am going to pull off the lower and to make sure, but just in case I did put a kink in the tube (fingers crossed that it is just miss aligned) can this be serviced with out taking off the power head as described in the manual? as usual thanks for the advise.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    nope head has to come off. Did you install just an impeller or the complete kit. For the $30 difference it is always recommended to replace the water kit.

3. Member
    Hi Champ.I did the whole kit, housing seals etc. I will drop the lower this week to see what I did. Cheers,

4. Member
    I finally got a chance to drop the lower unit. On inspection (of where I could see) the water tube does not seem to have a kink and appears to be normal. I did run it on a flush tank before I dropped the lower and water was coming out of the tell tale but also from a hole under the Exhaust housing. Does this mean I do have a problem with the water tube or is this something different.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Saffie; 04-26-2018 at 08:22 AM.

5. Member
    could be a slipped water diverter,,,

6. Member
    I will pull the heads off tomorrow and take a look at the deflectors. I just recently replaced them, but might have duffed putting them in.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I can't tell from the picture but is that water coming out of the side of the motor on the bottom left side?

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    here?

9. Member
    Hi Champ, yes exactly where you have it circled, on the left side of the motor where the powerhead bolts on to the mid section. The picture was flipped on its side, sorry, got it right side up and marked the spot. Could it be that I have a busted gasket between the powerhead and and the exhaust adapter? Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Saffie; 04-26-2018 at 08:39 AM.

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Sure does look that way.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Sure does look that way.
    Thanks Champ. I guess the power head is coming still coming off then. I did notice that there was oily residue leaking from that area and some post I read suggested the gasket was busted. While I have the power head off anything else you would suggest I replace now in that area? Thanks,

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Nope nothing else under there.

13. Member
    Ok. I am looking up the part now and will report back once I am done.

14. Member
    So I was eventually able to pull the powerhead off to see what my problem was. The gasket between the powerhead and mid section was shot as well as the exhaust manifold seal, so both of thise are now replaced. The gasket and seal was nit my problem though. The little hole on the bottom if the exhaust manifold is not covered by any of the 2 parts I replaced.

While I was taking the cover off that goes around the top of the mid section I did find a small metalic plug. It is exactly the same size as the hole I have water shooting out from. So my question is, is this some sort of freeze plug that popped out and now letting the water rush out ? Is there supposed to be somthing like that on my motor. Here are some pics of the hole and the plug. The hole is on the port side right under one of of the 3 bolts that hold the secures the power head to the exhaust housing. I hope the fix is as easy as just popping the plug back in. Should i use some kind of sealer as well? Thanks for the help.

A
    Last edited by Saffie; 05-30-2018 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Added text

15. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Install a new plug then check your thermostats and pop offs and springs and seats on top of the heads(if they have not been changed or you dont know the history,,change em).,,,,use a infrared gun to check head temps after warm up,,,145'ish.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

16. Member
    Appreciate the advice, Art. I will do as suggested. Would you happen to know the part number for the plug. I looked at the parts schematic and cant find it listed. Found a bunch listed on Ebay but not sure of the part number. Cheers,
    Last edited by Saffie; 05-31-2018 at 08:04 PM.

17. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Saffie View Post
    Appreciate the advice, Art. I will do as suggested. Would you happen to know the part number for the plug. I looked at the parts schematic and cant find it listed. Found a bunch listed on Ebay but not sure of the part number. Cheers,
    Cant find a number,,maybe measure it and/or the hole and get appropriate size.......looked at one of my 175 exhaust adapters and the plug is there. Just doesn't show a number so it must be included when the adapter was made.
    Last edited by omcforever; 05-31-2018 at 09:19 PM.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

18. Member
    I took the measurements and think I found the right one. Thanks for checking. Hopefully the old girl will be all fixed up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    Cant find a number,,maybe measure it and/or the hole and get appropriate size.......looked at one of my 175 exhaust adapters and the plug is there. Just doesn't show a number so it must be included when the adapter was made.