Stealth DC Charger with US2

I just picked up a new 24v Terrova for this year and have been trying to think of ways to keep transducer wiring as clean as possible. I have a Garmin GT20 that I've used on the TM the past couple years, but I never really use DownVu, so I'm considering just hooking my Garmin up to the US2 in the Terrova for 2D. Now my question - I use a Stealth 1 AC/DC Charger and I've read that the ground required from cranking to trolling batteries can cause a short in the Terrova, which kills the US2.

What are my options here? My understanding is that this short happens as a result of the internal ground in the head of the Terrova. If I remove this ground, I imagine I'll have interference when running the motor? On the other side, if I remove the ground from the troll to crank batteries, I'd lose the charge on the run capabilities of the Stealth system? Finally, I can just keep using the GT20 and deal with possible interference and ugly transducer wiring.

2. Member
    I have been running a Stealth 1 for about 6 years on 2 different boats. Both boats had a Fortrex and I have not had a single problem. Give Danny a call at Stealth 1 and he should be able to answer that question for you.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

3. Member
    The problem only occurs if you accidentally lose the power ground on the motor forcing motor current to flow to ground through the US2 wiring. Your motor should already have a fuse in it to protect this wiring but if it is missing it should be a simple job to install one. I'm sure John at Jones Trolling Motors can help you if needed.

4. Member
    Stealth - Danny are the best on the market. I had mine for many years now and the Stealth System has extended my battery life. 4 years now running the same 3 batteries for my 36 volt trolling motor and all 3 batteries still charge to 13.+ volts. Still at full charging capacity and I credit the Stealth System.

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann-Marie View Post
    The problem only occurs if you accidentally lose the power ground on the motor forcing motor current to flow to ground through the US2 wiring. Your motor should already have a fuse in it to protect this wiring but if it is missing it should be a simple job to install one. I'm sure John at Jones Trolling Motors can help you if needed.
    It happens whenever there is a connection between the batteries. Current flows because the noise reducing ground is at a level between TM positive and negative, but referenced to the cranking battery. Forcing the two batteries to have the same potential causes current to flow.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​