2008 Z520 250 ETEC HO issues

I was on Okeechobee last week, and the motor was running better than ever it seemed the first two days. Just purring right along. Hitting right at 70 mph in my Ranger Z520 fully loaded. I never put seafoam in my fuel, and only run 100% ethanol free fuel, high test. Had a couple of bad injectors a few years ago not long after I got the boat, and I only had 50 hours on it then. I don't have that many hours on it now, I have not checked it recently, but while on this trip I got an open injector code and had reduced power of course. I run the XR100 oil as I'm supposed to as well.

I have read that the injectors made from 2006-2009 were problematic and wondered if that was the truth. I see one post where a guy replaced his with ones manufactured in 2013 and has many hours on his motor now with no issues.

This is the second trip that the motor has left me without a boat for the rest of the trip. Has me thinking of putting a G2 on the boat even, although I really don't want to drop the coin on something like that right now. Any thoughts on this situation? I do all the regular maintenance on the boat, and try to take as good of care of it as I know how. Just a little frustrated right now....

2. Hun Driver
    I've got an 08 250 ETEC HO on a Z520 also. I had an injector fail in 2012 and haven't had any problems with injectors since then. I think it's a crap shoot whether one will fail or not. Like you I take care of my motor but I do not run high test gas. Evinrude recommends 87 octane and I have read on the ETEC owners Forum that using high test fuel can cause problems because it burns much hotter. Not sure if this can cause problems with the injectors though.

I'm also considering a G2 but only when this one dies.

All in all, I can't complain too much about the ETEC. In 10 years it's mostly been a great motor and shows no signs of giving up any time soon.

3. Member
    Good to hear. I run high test because the place where we buy fuel, the high test is the only grade that is ethanol free. Thanks for the response.

My 2008 225 HO had an issue with injectors. Replaced 3 under warranty, and BRP (with my dealer) stepped up and replaced the other 3. I have no complaints and would love a G2.

With only a few days left for the 10-year factory protection program, if you can swing it, go for the G2 and breath a sigh of relief for a whole decade.

There was a small serial number range that had injectors that needed replacement but most were redone at the factory before shipping and the other ones in use were notified by the factory and the selling dealers. In 2008 and 2009 the injectors were redesigned as the ball-in-plunger style injector which is still in use today. There were occasional production line problems that were quickly resolved but on the whole, the injectors are OK, except when corroded internally from water in the fuel or phase-separation or varnish deposits.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

6. Member
    Again, thanks for the info. Going to speak to my dealer today to see what kind of money the G2 would run me rigged, and make a decision based on those numbers.

7. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Once you experience the G2 performance and features, you will totally forget the cost. Absolutely nothing like it.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

8. Member
    Yeah, I know I would love it, but with two kids in college and a third going to start next year, gotta have my priorities in order! If I can get a decent price for my current G1, I might can make it happen, otherwise I'll just have to wait.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Super 91 View Post
    Yeah, I know I would love it, but with two kids in college and a third going to start next year, gotta have my priorities in order! If I can get a decent price for my current G1, I might can make it happen, otherwise I'll just have to wait.
    I have a 2008 Z520 and i repowered it with a G2 in 2017. I absolutely love the G2. Its a whole new boat compared to the G1. Its not any faster as far as top end but you get to the top end waaaaaaaaaaay faster. If you do pull the trigger youll be amazed.

10. Member
    Did you do anything different with the jack plate etc? I have gotten several calls from dealers today talking about the G2's, and it sure has my interest. Not sure what my G1 (with the injectors fixed) with about 150 hours would bring. Hot foot and ETEC gauges would go with it if I sold it.

11. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Super 91 View Post
    Did you do anything different with the jack plate etc? I have gotten several calls from dealers today talking about the G2's, and it sure has my interest. Not sure what my G1 (with the injectors fixed) with about 150 hours would bring. Hot foot and ETEC gauges would go with it if I sold it.
    If you mean do you use a different jack plate with the G2, then yes, you do. Because of the motor’s built-in setback, many hulls are rated for only a 4” plate with the G2. I have the 4” Atlas on my boat, and aside from top end potential, I probably would not need a plate at all.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

12. Member
    I had to go from an 8” to a 4” Jack plate. I bought an atlas hydraulic plate. I never had had a hydraulic plate before so it a little different but I like it. I do move it more than I thought I would. They are kind of handy I guess. The G2 power steering is really nice and the electric shift is great. The coolest thing though is the trim assist. Trim assist will get you up and out of the hole like a rocket after about 50mph you need to take over the trim to get to top speed. You’ll love it when you do it.

13. Member
    You guys are not making this any easier......LOL

14. Member
    The dealers are though..... Looks like about $23,000 to repower, not including all options.....