1242XSV VS. 7612XSV

Will some educate me please on why I wouldn’t get 3-1242xsv on my next boat instead of 3- 7612xsv.......seems to me it will function the same for fishing........

2. Member
    Start from the other end. Decide how many and which transducers you want to use. Then total up the number of ports you need. How many 8 pin? How many 12 pin? Each 7612 has both an 8 pin and 12 pin port. It also does dual channel chirp. Of course with 3-1242's you have triple channel chirp, just on different units. With a 12 pin to 8 pin adapter cable the 1242 can handle the 8 pin xd's. You may have to ask Todd this but subjectively the nit rating on the 1242 looks brighter to me than the 7610. I've not seen it side by side with a 7612.

You pose a really good question. Network the units and whatever is plugged into one is visible on the others. Just be certain to project for now and later how many ports you'll need. It would be a shame to put together such a nice setup and next year be one xd port short. For example. 1 GTcombo on the transom, 1 GTcombo on the TM, 1 8 pin inhull. You're all full up. Whatever I did, I wouldn't hit the water day one, full up. Garmin R & D works every day. I'd want one 12 pin vacant - for possible later use. Maybe 2-1242's and 1-7612.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply. I would also have a 7610xsv on the bow. It would be 2-1242 on console and 1-1242xsv and 7610xsv on bow. Thinking Gt-52 on TM and Transom. HD-34 on transom, and GT-15 in hull. Also the heading sensor. Do you think that would allow enough connections ?

4. Member
    Yes it will. The GT34UHD-GCV20 combo has three network ports so one of you units will have to have a network cable to another unit. Networking takes more ports than people sometimes think. You have two on each unit, so that's 8. Without a box you use up 6 of them, interconnecting them. Adding the GCV20 adds 3 more but when you cable everything up, that leaves 3 unused. So you still have room for a couple of Panoptix and Sirius. The Steadycast sensor is NMEA 2000 so you'll need a starter kit if you don't already have one. You'll need a total of 4 ethernet cables. The GCV20 comes with one but I don't remember how long it is. On it the right angle connectors make a smooth installation. Consider your placement distances so you get the right length cables. I've never had any problems with the cables, but when I had Lowrance it was a recurring issue. Looks like you're set.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.