Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ultex issue, questions

This is Ultrex #2 for me, as I had one of the first ones and it died while on a fishing trip. Minn Kota replaced it, and this is the second one. I was just on Lake Okeechobee this last week, when it seemed to do just as the first, dead in the water. No power, I was not able to move the motor left/right or spin the prop....nothing. I motored back to the ramp, took it to Roland Martins place in Clewiston, and when I got there, it worked fine. He checked the batteries, 3 Interstate installed about 1.5 years ago. When he first tested each battery, battery number 2 read 11.6 volts, and the other two read 13.3 volts. then he tested the second one again, and it read 13.3 volts like the other two. He thought possible battery issues with the #2 battery.

Next day I'm on the water, trolling motor is working fine and I charged the batteries that night to full capacity. I was rounding a point when it just when blank again. I go back and check the breaker, check my Blue Seas exterior switch I've installed since before the Ultrex, all good. I sit down in the seat to ponder the situation, no movement on the boat and I'm not near anything, and I hear the 3-4 quick little beeps it makes when I first turn it on. Now It has power! I motor 35 yards, then it dies again. 10 seconds later, it beeps and is back to life. All connections are good, I got under the bow panel and checked the connections there, and checked all the connections in the battery well.

It seems to be possessed, as it comes on at completely random times. I'm not sure what the problem is. Going to call Minn Kota tomorrow, and run it to my dealer to see if they can diagnose the issue. Any thoughts?

2. Member

3. Member
    You have a power problem. Weather it is a corroded or loose connection. It could be on the breaker or anywhere on the troll motor power. Just because you read voltage with a meter does not mean it is not a loose or corroded connection. With those type of problems when a load is applied it could work for a short period then it goes out when it heats up. Need to get that checked thoroughly.

4. Member
    Okay, will do. I hope it is easily fixed. Very annoying. Stinks because my main motor was having issues the same day, so I lost the use of my boat for my vacation.

Have you tested the voltage at the source (female) socket where you plug your trolling motor in? There could be some corrosion in the battery cables between batteries and plug. Just a thought.
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X
    Powered by Suzuki 250SS

The terminal on one of your batteries is internally cracked and does not make a good connection?

7. Member
    Were you able to check the voltage on the suspect battery when things went south?

8. Member
    I had similar issue with my motor guide. One of the cables connected to the battery was slightly loose. Just tightened the nut down and all was good.

9. Member
    I have a battery gauge hooked up to the three trolling motor batteries, and each time the motor would quit I would check it and it would read normal voltage, anywhere from 38 to 41, which is where it has always read, depending on how much I've used the trolling motor.

I also checked each battery connection, and tightened each connection again to make sure each was very tight. Never budged the first nut, so each was as tight as can be.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eliteangler View Post
    Have you tested the voltage at the source (female) socket where you plug your trolling motor in? There could be some corrosion in the battery cables between batteries and plug. Just a thought.
    My trolling motor is wired direct, so I don't have a plug connection. But I did check the wiring where the wire from the batteries meets the trolling motor up under the bow and those connections were tight.

Do you have the correct size breaker ?
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

12. Member
    As stated above, you have a connection issue between the batteries and the trollingmotor -- or a bad battery as was determined to start with. These motors are really voltage sensitive and if you don't have enough voltage they will shut down. When measuring voltage on this type system, you must do it while it is under a load (unit turned on with trolling motor deployed). An unloaded system will return battery voltage since it doesn't take much of a conductor to carry the voltage, however when you load it, it can't carry the amps needed to operate and the voltage will drop indicating a bad connection or battery.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    ..................... When measuring voltage on this type system, you must do it while it is under a load (unit turned on with trolling motor deployed). An unloaded system will return battery voltage since it doesn't take much of a conductor to carry the voltage, however when you load it, it can't carry the amps needed to operate and the voltage will drop indicating a bad connection or battery.
    John
    And that's a fact!

One thing your meter might not tell you is the voltage actually going to the motor, if the problem persists, and you have a trolling motor plug, take the back off the male plug and check all the screws for tightness and the wires for burned or melted areas.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    Do you have the correct size breaker ?
    Installed this one just before the trip.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    As stated above, you have a connection issue between the batteries and the trollingmotor -- or a bad battery as was determined to start with. These motors are really voltage sensitive and if you don't have enough voltage they will shut down. When measuring voltage on this type system, you must do it while it is under a load (unit turned on with trolling motor deployed). An unloaded system will return battery voltage since it doesn't take much of a conductor to carry the voltage, however when you load it, it can't carry the amps needed to operate and the voltage will drop indicating a bad connection or battery.
    John
    Awesome. Very good info, THANKS!

16. Member
    Would three of these be good batteries for my Ultrex if I decide to replace them?

Quote Originally Posted by Super 91 View Post
    Installed this one just before the trip.

That's the size you want.
    Anthrax

Quote Originally Posted by Super 91 View Post
    Would three of these be good batteries for my Ultrex if I decide to replace them?

wow those are a little expensive
    Batteries plus has a 15% off sale going on. They also have rebates for Duracell batteries.
    Anthrax

19. Member
    Yeah, not cheap for certain, but I like to try to buy the best battery I can. Those get awesome ratings and I have one as my main starting battery now and it has been great.

20. Member
    I have had a set of four of these for the past 7 1/2 years and no problems. Have had mostly vey long days on the water with and without heavy winds at Toledo Bend and Lake Fork. But, you must have an adequate battery charger-- would call Odyssey for their recommended list. I have a Dual Pro, but I am not sure which model. It is four battery charger. I can get you the model information later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast