Z18 pros and cons?

Alright guys, if everything goes as planned, I’ll be ordering a new boat this winter. I’ve been looking really hard at the Z18s. If it’s possible I may just get a 2018 model if my dealer has any left over after they roll out the 2019s. I was wanting to know the biggest pros and cons of this model. I should probably say it will be my first glass boat. I’ve been in boats all my life, so I already know the basics.

I thought about buying used, but it seems buying new is the way to go. I can order it exactly how I want it as far as rigging, or I can just order the base package and upgrade with PPs, electronics over time.

Ive seen some of the older nitros and wasn’t really impressed but a buddy bought a Z19 a few weeks ago and after checking it out it seems that nitro is producing better quality boats now. So far im
    not real fond of the giant middle hatch but I could see past that.

How do these boats ride? I live on KY lake and it can get pretty sketchy out there. I’ve heard a lot of people says that these boats fish a lot bigger than they are which would be awesome. I also saw on another post that people are getting these boats with the wrong prop from the dealer. Has that issue been resolved? im definitely going with the 175 Pro XS.

2. Member
    If price was not a problem I would go with a Z19. I have a ProCraft 192 superpro which is the same as a Z18. Sometimes it is not big enough for the Oklahoma lakes.

3. Member
    I ordered a Z18 w/150 4S on November 1st of last year. Still working the bugs out. I was mounting the Talons when I figured out they drilled the motor mounting holes off 1/4". Doesn't sound like much, but that puts the foot 2 1/2" off at the bottom. My dealer had GREAT glass repair associates that re-glassed the transom. That is all fixed now. I was one of the folks whos boat was delivered with the wrong prop. I am waiting on the Tempest 23P now. The trailer had a short and is being rewired. The factory talked me out of a jack plate because they had not tested it with the 4s motor.
    Those are the cons...
    Here go the pros.
    The boat handles and fishes extremely well. I love the big deck up front. I don't own enough fishing stuff to come close to filling up all the storage space...it's massive. The cooler will hold a ton of drinks and ice. I ordered the rod holder on the left side... Love it! The live well worked great with recirculate and pump out features. This thing is a riggers dream. I added dual Humminbird Helix 10s with Ethernet. I ordered the Minn Kota Ultrex which was very well priced as an upgrade. We asked the factory NOT to mount the standard fish finder and they had it in a bag in one of the storage compartments. Being able to remove the storage boxes in the back to rig etc. is awesome. I'd buy it again I think. The Triton 189 was a CLOSE second. Mine came in at $36K which is about what I expected. I am not a tournament fisherman, but I wanted to be set up similar to one, but have a boat good on fuel that can handle some rough water to get me home. Cons aside I feel like I got my money's worth...maybe a little more.

4. Member
    I bought a new z18 with 175 a couple months ago and love it.
    It has the same front deck as a z19 if I’m not wrong and has all kinds of room. Rides and handles well.
    I have had zero problems thus far and really don’t have any complaints. I have had it on semi rough water and it has done fine.
    03 triton tr19
    03 merc 200 OptiMax.
    helix 12 msi g2n at bow and console.

5. California Fishing Moderator Captain Babito A7T3C's Avatar
    Bought my Nitro Z18 in December of last year, have had it out countless times on different bodies of water in my area. Handles great!

I primarily fish alone or with one other, opted for the dual console. Everything else is pretty standard on mine. Fishes a lot bigger than it is, gets up and moving w/175 mercury (i'm no speed demon, but does mid 60s just fine). Plenty of storage, overall build quality is great for the price range. Was lucky to get a 2017 model at discount since they were only producing 2018s when i purchased.

Overall i couldn't be happier. Good luck on your purchase and post pics!
    2017 Nitro Z18 - Mercury ProXS 175 - 24P Fury - Elite 9 TI2 - Fortrex

I haven't fished out of a Z18 but gotten up in them and they do feel like a big 18' boat. FWIW, I think that huge center compartment is one of the boats best points. The center hatch on my TR186 is tiny.

I grew up fishing there and my folks still live on Barkley so I get back often. As you know, KY lake gets ugly fast especially if the wind is out of the north. If it were me, I'd strongly consider a bigger boat. That extra length helps you span waves instead of dropping down in them. That may mean you need to go used though if your shooting for the Z18's price range. This is a Nitro forum so I'm not going to pump up other brands here but if you didn't like the older Nitro's there are other options out there.

If you're going to order a new boat through Bass Pro don't under any circumstance pay what they want for electronics. They want $2120 to flush mount a HDS-7 Carbon and you can buy those all day long for $1499. $600 to mount a graph? If it's worth that, I'm in the wrong business. You might be able to talk them down. I'd maybe give them an extra $100 to install a graph. But it's not difficult at all so if they won't budge tell them no thanks. If it is something your not comfortable with, then there is that guy up around Draffenville that I hear does good work; I think my dad has dealt with him and been happy.

Whatever you get, for KY lake you're definitely going to want good electronics. DI and SI, networked and a heading sensor that give you direction when stationary such at the Lowrance Point-1.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by JETA330 View Post
    I ordered a Z18 w/150 4S on November 1st of last year. Still working the bugs out. I was mounting the Talons when I figured out they drilled the motor mounting holes off 1/4". Doesn't sound like much, but that puts the foot 2 1/2" off at the bottom. My dealer had GREAT glass repair associates that re-glassed the transom. That is all fixed now. I was one of the folks whos boat was delivered with the wrong prop. I am waiting on the Tempest 23P now. The trailer had a short and is being rewired. The factory talked me out of a jack plate because they had not tested it with the 4s motor.
    Those are the cons...
    Here go the pros.
    The boat handles and fishes extremely well. I love the big deck up front. I don't own enough fishing stuff to come close to filling up all the storage space...it's massive. The cooler will hold a ton of drinks and ice. I ordered the rod holder on the left side... Love it! The live well worked great with recirculate and pump out features. This thing is a riggers dream. I added dual Humminbird Helix 10s with Ethernet. I ordered the Minn Kota Ultrex which was very well priced as an upgrade. We asked the factory NOT to mount the standard fish finder and they had it in a bag in one of the storage compartments. Being able to remove the storage boxes in the back to rig etc. is awesome. I'd buy it again I think. The Triton 189 was a CLOSE second. Mine came in at $36K which is about what I expected. I am not a tournament fisherman, but I wanted to be set up similar to one, but have a boat good on fuel that can handle some rough water to get me home. Cons aside I feel like I got my money's worth...maybe a little more.
    Time to go shopping then!

+1000000 on the Ultrex. I'd say its the best thing since sliced bread but its better than that. You'd love it fishing the KY Lake ledges.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

8. Member
    Thanks for all the replies, guys. Although it will probably be early 2019 before I can get finincials lined out, I’ve decided to go with at least a Z19 maybe a Z20. The plan right now is to start buying all the accessories this fall and when the time comes in January or February I will order the boat, trailer, outboard, and ultrex. That way I can keep payments down instead of financing all that with it. Im not rich like some of the folks on here say they are, so I can’t just go drop 40k on a boat and brush it off. Lol.