Thread: trim ?

trim ?

I have a 2015 Nitro Z7 w/175 pro xs. So yesterday after fishing most of the day, I tried to put some wide open runs on my engine to clean out the cob webbs since it has to idle way to much at all the no wake lakes I fish. On my last run, after getting on pad, I was trimming up and it wouldn't trim up very much....maybe half way. I thought it was broke, but when I got to the ramp and was off pad and idling it would trim all the way up. It seems like when you trim up to the point that you hear it trim faster, that's about where it stopped while running wide open. Anyone experience this before....any ideas?

That is normal.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    ok, I thought you could trim up while running so far that it would blow out. Seems like I could trim up more while running. Thanks for the reply.

4. Member
    Seems years ago that unlimited trim was the cause of some accidents. Something about the drivers knee hitting the trim switch. 21XD is correct. They have limit switches when under throttle will only trim so far.

5. Member
    Thanks, good to know I don't have a problem. I hardly ever get to run my boat. Here in central illinois I'm lucky to even get "no wake", most the time I have to use trolling motor due to 25HP public lake restrictions. Some day I'll be out of this hell hole of a state! Thanks again guys.

Come to Jersey....the majority of our lakes are electric only!!
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

7. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    There’s a difference between tilt and trim. Tilt is the last stage, and doesn’t work when running wot....

8. #FRB
    Is the trim "snail" stage mainly on higher hp motors? My 2016 75hp 4-stroke Merc will trim up to the sky at wot from what I can tell. And trims the same from tucked under the boat to all the way up. Acts exactly like an old Tower of Power my buddy had on one of his boats (and blew up in 3 trips, lol). Took some getting used to because I was used to the 2-stage tilt/trim system on my larger v6 outboards. I'm not gonna test to see if it has a limiter because it will trim until it blows out and trims out quite a bit when wot.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

9. Member
    The newer merc 4 strokes have a single stage trim tilt but the angle is limited above a certain throttle position.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Genovese View Post
    ok, I thought you could trim up while running so far that it would blow out. Seems like I could trim up more while running. Thanks for the reply.
    Does this mean that on my Pro XS 225 (2017) that I can just hit the trim switch until it stops on its own - without worrying about over trimming it (other than watching rpm)?
    Last edited by Charlie Paris; 04-22-2018 at 09:43 PM.
    It's what you learn AFTER you know it all that counts...

2017 Ranger Z519
    Mercury Pro XS 225
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI G2N

11. Member
    That's what I get out of it Charlie.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Paris View Post
    Does this mean that on my Pro XS 225 (2017) that I can just hit the trim switch until it stops on its own - without worrying about over trimming it (other than watching rpm)?
    Kind of... You can trim it up until it stops. That would be considered full trim, but if you are low on water pressure or losing speed you still should not go that far. Some boats run faster/better below full trim.