$32 brand new set of fuel injectors!?! I just have to ask.

Yep, I bought a set of a brand new fuel injectors for my Yamaha F150 for $32 on eBay. For months my 12-year-old engine had trouble getting the boat on the plane. After “shock treatment” via Ring Free, then Quickleen, then Seafoam, then BG 44K, there was very little improvement. Still had rough idle, etc. At my wit’s end, I started learning and looking at fuel injectors. I saw these very cheap unbranded fuel injectors listed for my engine on eBay (there were tons of them). And I also came across a video by Fuelinjectorman on how to remove the fuel injectors and how/why they should be cleaned. Not being mechanically inclined, the videos made me felt empowered to swap out the injectors. So I bought a set of 4 new ones for $32. Swapped them out and plan to send the old/original ones in for cleaning and use the cheap new set temporarily while waiting for the cleaning. OMG, I couldn’t believe how well the boat ran with the $32 set. It now runs as good or better than new! Got all the power and the smoothness back. So now the real/original injectors still sit in my basement (haven’t sent out to be cleaned yet). It’s been 2 weeks now and I drive it almost every day and I’m still in awe.

Then, someone uttered this old adage and it’s stuck in my head - “you get what you pay for”. So, my questions are:

1. Has anyone had any experiences with these super cheap injectors? Any feedbacks?
    2. What do you think the pros and cons are if I keep using these (probably till they break if they even break so soon)? I.E. Do you see any issues or danger?

Thanks.
    Last edited by glock-19; 04-22-2018 at 01:49 AM.

Dangers?

Only. Worry I would have is if they leaned out, didn't squirt enough gas in each cyl. Flooding wouldn't hurt and you would know instantly. I'm not sure but if it ran lean, would it scorch a piston --- like an automobile engine? Less then $10 ea. Good find

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    Dangers?

Only. Worry I would have is if they leaned out, didn't squirt enough gas in each cyl. Flooding wouldn't hurt and you would know instantly. I'm not sure but if it ran lean, would it scorch a piston --- like an automobile engine? Less then $10 ea. Good find
    Thanks. If they leaned out the engine should lose noticeable power, correct?

Yes, I was surprised and skeptical at the very low cost. There are lots of them on eBay, somehow. But I took the chance because I want to be able to use the boat while the real ones are being cleaned. These are also noticeably lighter than the ones that came with Yamaha. So I'm still going to send the original ones in for cleaning and use as backups (at least for now). But I have to say they've exceeded my expectations. Just happy to finally know what the real problem is and to finally get those horsepowers back!

4. Member
    I don't think you'd notice if they leaned out until it was too late. Atleast that's what happen to me and my Mercury EFI. #6 leaned out and blew the motor. I think I'd be getting the originals cleaned and resealed and back in there, assuming they're all good. They'll bench test them when you send them to be cleaned and you'll know than

5. Member
    If it leans out, you will only notice more power, until it burns a piston. Rich at Brucato told
    me to not use any of the ebay injectors. They may be fine. And then, that $32 set of injectors may cost a lot more.

I'd get the originals taken care of too.

7. Member
    Get the oem parts fixed and save the cheap ones for spares. I would be thrilled knowing the problem was fixed (such a relief ).

8. Member
    Thanks all. You all have convinced me that I need to get the originals cleaned and put back (I'll use the cheap ones as backups).

Wish I didn't have to spend months figuring this out. But at least the engine got plenty of shock treatments in the process. LOL Just hope I didn't screw other things up too. So for other mechanically challenged folks like me, you can probably eliminate (or confirm) the injectors as a problem by temporarily using cheap ones.