Visual Distress Signal

NY State requires Visual Distress Signals. There's a lot of options out there. What do you guys normally use?

Guide: Pages 25 - 30

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Flares are what I use, but I’m thinking about the Weems electronic signal. The flares expire and don’t count if they are out of date. Of course you have to be sure to keep fresh batteries in the electronic one.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I have , flares, whistle, and a 3x3 orange construction flag ...

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

4. Member
    Thanks for the input. I guess I'll get flares and replace them every 3 years. Regulation states a combination of 3. Flag for daytime, Weems Light for night, still leaves some kind of pyrotechnic device for the third. Might as well just get a pack of 3 flares and replace them when needed.

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydbee View Post
    Thanks for the input. I guess I'll get flares and replace them every 3 years. Regulation states a combination of 3. Flag for daytime, Weems Light for night, still leaves some kind of pyrotechnic device for the third. Might as well just get a pack of 3 flares and replace them when needed.
    Doesn’t require 3. 3 flares meets the requirement, but a single electric meets the requirement for night.
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Understood. But that's what I mean. Electric for night, flag for day. Still need one more device to meet the requirement.
    Since I still have to buy 1 flare (or another pyrotechnic device), might as well just buy a 3 pack of flares and forego the light and flag.

That's the solution I came up with. That's why I was asking what other guys use. Maybe there's a different way I'm not seeing other than spending $40 for flares every 3 years.

Not a big deal, just looking to find the best economical way to meet the requirement.

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydbee View Post
    Understood. But that's what I mean. Electric for night, flag for day. Still need one more device to meet the requirement.
    Since I still have to buy 1 flare (or another pyrotechnic device), might as well just buy a 3 pack of flares and forego the light and flag.

That's the solution I came up with. That's why I was asking what other guys use. Maybe there's a different way I'm not seeing other than spending $40 for flares every 3 years.

Not a big deal, just looking to find the best economical way to meet the requirement.
    From reading it, I think all you need is the electric and a flag. The 3 items only seems to apply to flares.
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    Hmmmm. I'll reread it also. Then I'll just get the flag and the light.
    Thanks!

Just read the requirement again. It does seem to say you only need 1 of each if it's not pyrotechnic.
    Thanks for picking that up!!
    Last edited by Jaydbee; 05-01-2018 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Reread requirement

9. Member

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360