Thread: Choke canyon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Choke canyon

Going to go fish it tomorrow and was wondering how low the lake is? Can't seem to find anything on the web.

2. Member
    Let us know how you did. I have not been there in a year and am wanting to go Tuesday on my day off.

3. Banned
    Tough bite so far.

4. Member
    Report ???

Still thinking of going tomorrow.

5. Member
    About 25 feet low. Very dangerous at that level. At 20 feet low you can still get around pretty well. At 25 it's dicey.

6. Banned
    Ended up watching 11. Got on a crank bait Bite. First time there and I really didn't know where to go. Didn't know it was that bad to navigate, I just stayed in the river channel and 25' plus water.

7. Banned
    Not that it needs any extra pressure, but the guys that I know that have been fishing it have been doing pretty good. Seems to be one of the better years; but if it could ever catch 10’ of water....it would be fantastic in 2 years!

8. Member
    How deep were you catching them?

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Treker47 View Post
    How deep were you catching them?
    19-22'

10. Banned
    What would be considered bad winds to be out on choke canyon? And from which direction? Thanks

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratosguy0725 View Post
    What would be considered bad winds to be out on choke canyon? And from which direction? Thanks
    South! You can fish the lake with any other direction, but a South wind at 15-20 is a killer!

if you’re in a jon boat or kayak, maybe 10mph is bad.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    South! You can fish the lake with any other direction, but a South wind at 15-20 is a killer!

if you’re in a jon boat or kayak, maybe 10mph is bad.
    Didn't know the wind came from any other direction down here. It's calling for a SE wind today

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratosguy0725 View Post
    Didn't know the wind came from any other direction down here. It's calling for a SE wind today

On a rare occasion it will change. When the lakes full, the wind is bad from any direction. Now only the south.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    On a rare occasion it will change. When the lakes full, the wind is bad from any direction. Now only the south.
    Thanks for the info. It wasn't bad today at all and stayed pretty windy. This place attracts allot of fishermen. Starting to learn it and like it allot so far

15. Banned
    It’s fishing better this year than it has in many years. Still fishes small though, sure do wish it would catch 10’ of water.

16. Member
    From my understanding even if Choke were to receive 10' of water, it would be released to Lake Corpus Christi. Frustrating!

17. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by water rat View Post
    From my understanding even if Choke were to receive 10' of water, it would be released to Lake Corpus Christi. Frustrating!
    Lake Corpus Christi is a lot smaller lake and only 2.2' low at this time, so a 10' rise in Choke would maintain CC for quite some time. Doubt they'd open the gates and dump it all out. But there ain't a lake in TX that strictly recreational. They are all built to store and provide water to municipalities. We suffer the same issues up here in North Central TX with water levels.

18. Banned
    I’ve looked into it a while back. Choke is required to release the amount of flow that is coming in, basically pretend that the dam isn’t even there. Got to keep those freshwater shrimp happy down the river by the gulf.

But the lake was also built to keep Three Rivers from flooding, so the 10’ would stay and once it leveled off, all the new constant flow would be coming out. It will fill again.....someday.....hopefully I’m still alive.

19. Banned
    Went back last Sunday, we caught close to 40 fish. Biggest one was 5.5 allot of two's some occasion we would pick a 3. Plenty dinks too. It's kinda nice to have it fishing the way it is. I'll only be here until Sept. I wish I could witness it a little higher to see how the fishing gets then.
    There was a tourney last Saturday. Anyway to find out the weights?

20. Banned
    Went back last Sunday, we caught close to 40 fish. Biggest one was 5.5 allot of two's some occasion we would pick a 3. Plenty dinks too. It's kinda nice to have it fishing the way it is. I'll only be here until Sept. I wish I could witness it a little higher to see how the fishing gets then.
    There was a tourney last Saturday. Anyway to find out the weights?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast