Diagnostic tool for Oil Pump Prime

Doing some work on my motor, and trying to get into a shop that knows how to do the oil pump prime sequence is pretty difficult. The amount of info on this board and the input from Don and Savage has been amazing...im sure it has saved me quite a bit of money thus far. The marine shops around me either don’t know what I’m talking about when I say Oil pump prime sequence, or they are telling me it will be a couple weeks out for it. What’s available out there for doing this myself? I don’t want to foul up plugs or have to burn excess oil by putting it into break in mode, so I’m seeing if it’s worth investing in one of these. Recommendations?

2. Member
    I just popped by a local dealer with the boat on the back and the guy said sure, walked out with his computer plugged it in and it was done in 5 minutes. Charged me $20. The other shop said a minimum of a $100 when i called to get a quote
    Andy

2004 Pro Craft 192 SuperPro

Try a local marine repair place vice a big dealer. I have one that will do it cheaply and one that said their minimum charge was 1.5 hrs labor. Keep checking and DO NOT LET THEM TOUCH THE THROTTLE!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peach1303 View Post
    What’s available out there for doing this myself?
    Other than placing your engine in break in mode - nothing.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    You could buy your own scan tool.........http://www.rinda.com/marine/diacommarine.htm

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    You could buy your own scan tool.........http://www.rinda.com/marine/diacommarine.htm
    It is my plan to get one of these diagnostic scan tools. I have already acquired a laptop for this purpose. Savage, in your opinion, is this Rinda diagnostic system suitable for a layman using it on his own motor. I have no desire to work on some else's equipment, only mine. As Peach stated above I also have to do an oil pump prime sequence on a newly reinstalled motor. Should I spend $100 for someone else to do it or put that cash towards a tool that will do it for me?

7. Member
    I think Rinda is a good tool for DIY.........about $600

8. Member
    Thanks for the reply.
    Also I wanted to thank you, Don, and all of the other guys that take their time to input their knowledge into this forum. It certainly makes my day more enjoyable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I think Rinda is a good tool for DIY.........about $600

9. Member

10. Member
    Savage- I checked a couple of old posts and there was one that said it was unsure if Rinda had the capabilities of performing the oil pump prime sequence. If so, $600 seems pretty decent since I got told $150 by a shop by me.

11. Member
    Nevermind that. I was able to find out in their manuals that it allows for it.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peach1303 View Post
    If so, $600 seems pretty decent since I got told $150 by a shop by me.
    Dang! Someone's making a ton of money for an oil pump prime sequence. My dealer charged half that and it included full readouts and run time to ensure all was well.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax