Remote drain plug

Can these things be repaired without a trip to the dealer? Mine is allowing water in.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Member
    Clean the o-ring and relive it and try it again just put water in by a hose and see if I t leaks out clean the ma me and female end if it fixes it when you come out of the water open and drain then close it to travel home dirt and dust can cause issue.

also there is a little click feel, you may need to turn it a tiny bit more
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Vaseline. Seriously.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Member
    Vaseline will work temporarily but could degrade many types of rubber based O rings. You’d be better off going to an auto parts store and getting a silicone based O ring lubricant which won’t degrade the O ring over time whether it’s rubber or plastic based.

6. mikesxpress
    Super Lube synthetic grease. Comes in 3oz tube at Harbor freight. Works for the O ring and allot of other mait. items like dielectric grease for battery terminals.

7. Member
    I started poking around down there and discovered that the plug itself has two small screws in it that lead me to believe that the plug can be removed from whatever it is attached to, and the O ring can be replaced. I'm gonna give that a shot next week.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

8. Member
    If you do the grease thing I will repeat what another person said and tell you to use SILICONE based grease. Some tubes of it are called plumber's grease. Also, I was convinced mine was faulty until someone told me to not hesitate to turn the dial a little hard to towards IN. I was scared to break it and wasn't giving it the extra umph it needed. It doesn't require brute strength just a little more than you may feel comfortable applying. If it isn't going in all the way flush it will allow some water in. Really check all this before taking it apart. You may create a bigger issue than necessary. I've been through something similar to this.

9. Member
    Basscatkev exactly

It might just need to be adjusted. When you pull it in you should feel a little "Thump". If not, adjust the cable nut to allow more pull. If you use the grease or some other sealant on the o ring, drain at the ramp and then close the drain for the trip home to avoid dust collecting on the o ring. Then you can open it again at home to get a complete drain and dry of the bilge.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    It might just need to be adjusted. When you pull it in you should feel a little "Thump". If not, adjust the cable nut to allow more pull. If you use the grease or some other sealant on the o ring, drain at the ramp and then close the drain for the trip home to avoid dust collecting on the o ring. Then you can open it again at home to get a complete drain and dry of the bilge.
    Where is the cable nut located?
    Yamaha 250 SHO

12. Member
    Ended up buying new O-rings. It appears to be easy to replace them. Flow Rite recommends Molykote 55 grease for the rings. It causes them to swell.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

13. Member
    It took me a short time to learn also like was mentioned, turn the switch to close then steadily put more pressure on it until you feel it jump about 1/8 to a quarter inch more. Simply closing it with little pressure closes the plug but does not seat it, clean plug and a touch of lubricant once a month helps. O ring on a 17 should not be bad yet....

14. Member

Thumbs Up

Thanks guys.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

And when all else fails...reach under there and push it in the rest of the way.

Magic Lube, any pool supply store, 1OZ tube for a few bucks, a little goes a long way. Leave it in the boat and hit the oring from time to time ad you won't need to replace as often.
    2016 Z520, 2018 250 Pro LPXS sn/ 2B590153, Helix 10s on bow and console, 360 bow and 112 Ultrex, 126sv and Livescope.
    Son inherited - 1997 462VS 150 Johnson Faststrike, 800 series birds, side image, 110 Fortrex

17. Banned
    I have used synthetic grease on mine and never had a leak yet

Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    Where is the cable nut located?
    Located at the control arm end of the cable.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrnflyr View Post
    Vaseline will work temporarily but could degrade many types of rubber based O rings. You’d be better off going to an auto parts store and getting a silicone based O ring lubricant which won’t degrade the O ring over time whether it’s rubber or plastic based.
    go to a swimming pool supply store and get a tube of the gasket sealer. Its looks and feels like Vaseline, but it is specifically made for rubber, and it is sticky, meaning it will last a long time once applied.
    2016 Ranger Z518
    Mercury 150 HP Fourstroke