Question for the Group

In 2012 I purchased a brand new Triton 19XS riding on a 2012 Marine Master trailer with Gatorhyde coating. 3.5 years later and the trailer is rusting apart, so bad the fenders have rusted to the point that the brackets holding the carpet to the fenders have rusted through and is seperating. I spoke with Marine Master and here is their response: The use of this model trailer in brackish water or near brackish water will result with problems with the finish of the trailer. Our steel trailer with paint ,gatorhyde or gaterhyde with paint is not recommended for use in this environment.

OK, so the answer is their answer and there is nothing I can do about it except never purchase another Marine Master trailer. I am sure the water I fish in is brackish, but it is fresh enough for large mouth bass. Looking at other trailers (painted and gatorhyde) during local weekend tournaments and none have anywhere near the rust as my trailer.

My problem is the loan for the boat also includes the motor and trailer. So, I cannot get the title for the trailer until the loan is settled. I am not sure about the rest of you, but I cannot pay off a new boat in 3.5 years.

So, my question to the group is; has anyone ever had to replace a trailer for your boat when you did not have the title? If so, how did you go about replacing the trailer? I do not think it is possible to remove the fenders and replace them and Marine Master did not offer a single solution other than it is not a warranty issue.

Thank you for your time.
    Steve Bailey
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250L Pro XS TM
    SER# 2B575047

2. Member
    Buy a new trailer. You can keep the old one in the back yard. If it was me I'd strip it down, keep the axle and lights, junk the rest for scrap.
    Save the title and data plate, which might be a piece of plastic tape. Cut out the steel it's on if it won't come off. You never know if you'll find a trailer that needs a title.

At least talk to your insurance agent
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

Replace with aluminum trailer

5. Member
    Thats what I would do as well. Get a salt water trailer. Apparently Ranger does not make the trailer for the Tritons but uses the Marine Master. At least in your instance that is what they did. When I toured the Ranger factory a couple of years ago, they told me that their Ranger trailers, which they make there, could not take a steady diet of brackish or salt water. An occasional dunking would not hurt it especially if I spray washed the trailer when done. If that is what I was planning on fishing as my primary water then I should get an aluminum trailer made for that use.

6. Member
    Tromanoski; I would stay away form the gatorhyde steel trailers (Ranger, Skeeter, Triton) if you plan to fish brackish water. The water got under my gatorhyde and the problems began. The possible good news on the Rangers and Skeeters is the Fenders are fiberglass...most of my rusting issues center around the fenders and steps.
    Last edited by Maine-Basser; 04-22-2018 at 08:05 PM.
    Steve Bailey
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    SER# 2B575047

7. Member
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Bailey
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    SER# 2B575047

8. mikesxpress
    At this point I would suggest selling the existing trailer off and someone will make a utility trailer out of it. You will never be able to keep up with saltwater degradation of any mild steel trailer no matter how much you wash it after use. The hours it sits in the ramp lot while you fish has already kicked off the corrosion process.

Based on you being in VAB your not getting away from the saltwater. Quite a few places to order an aluminum trailer to fit your boat. Make sure in the ordering process you specify stainless steel brakes or it will come with steel.