R93 livewell valve replacement

Knew there was some sort of issue last fall. Bought the boat last fall, when I had it in water live wells filled to water line with lever in all 3 positions. Boats out of storage finally had a chance investigate. Pretty dirty in there need to clean it also but the cable is slipping were it seats on the valve. Once you wipe the grime the hoses etc all look in good shape.

I was thinking of replacing the valve and cable. Is it worth trying to clean up or is this issue a known problem and best replaced?

All feedback is appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

Have you tried to tighten the metal clamp that clamps the cable to the valve? You can see it in this picture. The valves aren't that expensive, you shouldn't need to change the cable. they also have a rebuild kit but replacing the new valve is usually easier to do, they can be purchased here.https://flow-rite.com/products/marine/valves/mv-03-fn01

3. Member
    I will try cleaning it up and tightening. Was getting late in the day and it's in a bad place to get a screw driver on.
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

Quote Originally Posted by Basshaker View Post
    I will try cleaning it up and tightening. Was getting late in the day and it's in a bad place to get a screw driver on.
    Yes it is, there is also a nut on the backside that fits into a sized hole. Make sure it's there.

5. Member
    don't replace it - just take it apart and clean it up. I did mine a few years ago and it's smooth as butter still.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

6. Member
    Good info I will be out there in a little bit.
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

7. Member
    So I cleaned it up best I could without removing completely. Seems like it is holding, will give it a try before I replace.

Thanks for the advice
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    pretty common failure part. While your doing it id just replace it save yourself the hassle. There like 49 bucks I believe.

9. Member
    i would get some simple green and wash everything down at the car wash and clean it up, then buy the flapper kit (about 19.00$) pull the 4 screws out and put the new rubber flapper in and seal and o-ring,fastest and easiest way to fix it,the complete valve can be a pain to change because the way its sealed to the pipe,i done my r83 last year works perfect now,the old rubber flappers wear out

Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    i would get some simple green and wash everything down at the car wash and clean it up, then buy the flapper kit (about 19.00$) pull the 4 screws out and put the new rubber flapper in and seal and o-ring,fastest and easiest way to fix it,the complete valve can be a pain to change because the way its sealed to the pipe,i done my r83 last year works perfect now,the old rubber flappers wear out
    THIS^^^. I would bet that the rubber flappers either have a thick layer of crud growing on them or have dry rotted. In either case, installing new flappers should allow the livewells to hold water.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

11. Member
    A self service car wash? If just looking for the pressure wash I can do that at home. Is there only one replacement kit?
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

12. Member
    you can call them and tell them the color and what you have and need,they are good to deal with,i done mine at the carwash because i didn't want the oil and nasty junk looking stuff on my concrete driveway

13. Member
    Makes sense. I was thinking about a bilge cleaner but I do like the pressure wash idea.

I will see what happens with the valve.
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

14. Member
    So I think I need to at least repair the valve but think something else might be wrong. Doesn't seem that the livewell is filling properly. Only one switch is labeled aerator. Should there be a switch to fill? Lever says recir, empty and auto. Water comes out both inlets when aerator is on.

Thoughts advice?
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

Put the selector switch on AUTO and turn the livewell pump switch to ON to fill the livewells.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

My 98 R73 has a switch on the dash that says auto and manual, to fill the well, put the livewell selector to auto and the switch on the dash to manual, let it fill until the water reaches the bottom of the overflow then put the switch on the dash to auto, auto turns on the timer.

17. Member
    Thx so no additional pump the valve needs repair. Appreciate the replys

Auto timer works
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

18. Member
    called flowrite and emailed them a picture. I was told this is the wrong valve for this application, strange how that might have happened.
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

19. Member
    good luck stopped at the local shop and they had the correct valve as recommended by flowrite. $5 more than ordering so I grabbed it.

Go figure the darn thing didnt work.
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

20. Member
    Replaced the valve, pretty simple. Going to try and go out tomorrow. Old valve was backwards no way the previous owner could have used them.
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live