Pulled the Trigger on an Ultrexx

Hello out there, just ordered a New Minn Kota Ultrexx with I Pilot for my 2010 Ranger 188VX. I was looking for a little feedback from those on here, particularly those with Rangers similar to mine (518, 185 188 etc...), Pros, cons let me know How you like yours. I am stoked and cant wait to get mine. Please a little feedback is greatly appreciated.

Spanky

2. Member
    Sorry, not a ranger owner, but I’ll tell ya, I love my ultrex. The windier it is the better it holds its spot. Takes a bit to get used to how easy it steers. But no regrets with my purchasing it. I’m sure you’ll be more than happy with it.

3. Banned
    Spanky, just installed one on my z118c. Spotlock and Jog are amazing and work as advertised. Simple as pulling up to your spot, dropping the trolling motor and hitting spot lock. If you fish with a butt seat you can leave that at home as well. Staying off of the pedal is really what sets this motor apart. Its amazing how little the boat moves when locked down.

I did find the pedal to be a bit loose to my liking. I could adjust the tension but for so little I have been actually using the foot pedal I may not even bother.

Quote Originally Posted by psj706 View Post
    Spanky, just installed one on my z118c. Spotlock and Jog are amazing and work as advertised. Simple as pulling up to your spot, dropping the trolling motor and hitting spot lock. If you fish with a butt seat you can leave that at home as well. Staying off of the pedal is really what sets this motor apart. Its amazing how little the boat moves when locked down.

I did find the pedal to be a bit loose to my liking. I could adjust the tension but for so little I have been actually using the foot pedal I may not even bother.
    No butt seat that's amazing, foot off pedal as well, I am really starting to like the choice...

Spanky

5. Banned
    Did you go 24 or 36 volt. My 185vs is 24 volt. Would love one but the cost is a little high for me. The Ultrex has to be the biggest upgrade since Side Imaging.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleyeguy456 View Post
    Did you go 24 or 36 volt. My 185vs is 24 volt. Would love one but the cost is a little high for me. The Ultrex has to be the biggest upgrade since Side Imaging.
    I went with the 24V set up as that's what the 188 has already.

Spanky

Walleyeguy,
    Our boats are pretty similar, mine came with an 80lb Fortrexx.

Spanky

8. Member
    You will absolutely love it, it’s a game changer for sure! I have a 188vs and I have a 80 lb 45” shaft ultrex. Point your boat towards the wind and press spot log. Leave your pedestal seat at home or move it to the back for your co angler! The power steering is really nice and doesn’t wear you out. Well worth the money and super easy to install! The 80lb thrust and 45” shaft works great for the 18’8” boats even with the wake and waves. Concentrate on fishing and keep your line wet with the ultrex!
    2006 Ranger 188vs, 2010 Mercury OptiMax 150

9. Member
    2002 185VX with new 80# Ultrex 45" with link. I also added a new Helix 10 SI G2N and a Comfortroll Deluxe tray. Great combination. I fish windy days that I used to stay home. With SL, Jog, and Autopilot, really easy to fish with both feet on the deck. If the Ultrex proves to be long lived, best money spent on fishing.