To torque or not?

I have a 2003 Optimax with a Fury 4 prop 14.5x24. The prop was new last fall and came with the Flo-Torq hub kit. I'm seeing 100 ft lbs if it has the conical filler and 55 ft lbs if doesn't. I don't know the difference.

That being said, is it that important to torque? I have never used one before and have never had an issue. But, my 2003 Cougar was new to me last year and I'm trying to go by the book for her.

The research I have seen is about 50% of the people will torque their prop nut. Curious what the Bass Cat family will say here.

Thanks!

2. Member
    My 250XS has a torque spec of 55 ft lbs and I do use a torque wrench when installing. 100 ft lbs is wheel lug tight and seems like a LOT of torque on a prop.

3. Member
    The proper torque is absolutely important. You must ALWAYS torque the hub kit to the kits proper torque value.

4. Member
    I always use a torque wrench to obtain correct torque.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    I made a fool of myself last time I asked this because I asked in a thread where it wasn’t relevant but for guys that have standard flotorque hubs do you first torque to 55 lb ft then spin the nut far enough to get the flats to the locking tabs, seems like I always end up with points over the tabs but it’s rarely more than about 60-62 lb ft to get the flats far enough to fold the tabs up.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtreed99 View Post
    I made a fool of myself last time I asked this because I asked in a thread where it wasn’t relevant but for guys that have standard flotorque hubs do you first torque to 55 lb ft then spin the nut far enough to get the flats to the locking tabs, seems like I always end up with points over the tabs but it’s rarely more than about 60-62 lb ft to get the flats far enough to fold the tabs up.
    When that happens to me I tighten to the next spot. By definition it will wind up slightly over the set torque if using a torque wrench.
    GETFISHED !!!