Help 2004 200 Optimax Fly wheel will not turn fully

Hey guys, I really need your help. 2004 200 hp optimax ran very low on oil. I was able to creep back to the ramp in safe mode. I filled reservoirs with oil and ran motor on rabbit ears for 20 minutes. Took back out to the lake and it idled very well for 15 minutes. I tried to put the boat on plane and it died. It would start again but then die when i gave it gas. Now motor will not start at all. Brand new cranking battery. Starter engages just fine and tries to turn. I put a wrench on the flywheel. It will turn backwards 360 degrees and then stopped dead. I turn it clockwise the same 360 degrees and it stops dead and will not go past that point. Also, the starter will turn the flywheel to this point also and jist stop there. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you.
    Brent
    Last edited by Mr B; 04-21-2018 at 05:57 PM.

2. Member
    Problems Inside

3. Member
    Not good at all, the way it sounds!

Maybe you will get lucky and the compressor was the only thing damaged. Sounds like compressor is locked up, remove the belt and try rotating.

How much oil was in the engine mounted tank, before you filled it?

Also if you did run it that low and it did suck air, the engine needed a re-prime to get all the air out of the oil lines.

If in fact the compressor is shot, there are components that need to inspected depending on how the compressor failed, such as fuel rails possibly!

I will leave it to the pro's on here to elaborate further.

Good luck!, you might need it!
    Last edited by moetorola; 04-23-2018 at 11:47 AM.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Some internal rotating component "doesn't".

Remove plugs and inspect for plug damage.

Beyond that- need to isolate gearcase (and compressor, though I doubt it's the problem based on nearly 360 degrees rotation) to confirm neither of them are the problem.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. BBC SPONSOR
    Sounds like a piece of shrapnel is lodged between the head and piston, preventing a full rotation. If you need help with the motor feel free to give a call, 305-394-3354, Chris

6. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................