Banned

Why/Benefit of oil injection? ELPTO motot

I have a 2004 50hp ELPTO. Having some issues with the oil tank. Gonna end up running "double oil" this next trip on monday while waiting for the replacement oil tank.

Went out and bought the mixing ratio bottle and gonna mix that in before filling up. So its my understanding that doing the double oil thing will ensure the motor gets oil in case the oil injection does not provide the oil since im having those issues. Well....that got me thinking. Whats the real benefit of having oil injection like on my ELPTO? Is it just a convenience thing where its easier to top off a oil tank reservoir than it is to mix proper ratios into gas?

I actually think the oil injection can be a problem....what happens if the injection stop injecting? cant you blow out your motor if theres no oil mixed into gas? Doesnt seem that hard to just toss some oil in the mixing bottle, tossing it in the tank and then filling up. I can see if I was running a gas hog, or if I had to fill up while on the water...but on my tracker a full gas tank will last at least 2 trips with me running the big motor A LOT, and can be stretched if just fishing normally (using the TM plenty). So im wondering if the oil injection is just opening the door to possible problems, that just going old school and mixing in oil manually would not.

This is my first boat...and have no other life experience boating...so take it easy on me if im missing something and this is a stupid question. Just going through oil tank (sensor only hopefully) issues...and it got me thinking. Seems no biggie to add in some oil to my gas tank....im already mixing in Quickare+Quickleen, so no biggie to toss one more thing into it for me.

2. Member
    I had a 50hp Evinrude motor that I mixed oil in for several years. I disabled the oil injection because because this engine was known to have a lot of issues with it. I never had any issues doing it and it was standard practice for a long time before oil injection came along.
    Most oil injection system systems vary the amount of oil that is injected based on engine RPM. It will run cleaner and use less oil than if you premix you oil. Another downside of mixing is if you ever forget to add the oil when filling the tank it won't be pretty.
    I have a 4stroke now but my last boat had a 90hp ELPTO motor and I never had any issues with it. It was a lot less hassle than pre mixing all the time.

3. Banned
    makes sense....I have a feeling its one of those things that I take for granted and am just thinking of it now since its costing me a couple hundred bucks to repair!!! lol

4. Member
    just don't forget to mix it , 3cyl has very dependable system, other than tank sensor
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    In general, oil injection systems (though mechanical and subject to the occasional/rare failure) tend to be more dependable than the fallible human being with a mixing cup.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    he has spoken so be it,inject it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    In general, oil injection systems (though mechanical and subject to the occasional/rare failure) tend to be more dependable than the fallible human being with a mixing cup.
    I can remember taking a glass Pepsi bottle we pumped full of gas out of our tank into a gas station trying to figure out whether we had put oil in before we left home. Finally decided double oil was better than half oil and added more. Easy to forget.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    yep ^^^^^