LSS-1 v LSS-2 v LSS-3D

I’ve recenetly been out running my old Gen-1 with LSS-1 along side a new Gen-3 with 3D. For the first time I’ve been able to see that the downscan images from the 3D transducer are quite severely compressed compared to those from the LSS-1. (making mountains out of mole hills) I’ve no idea why that should be but it’s something I’ve seen mentioned by others as a negative on this site in previous posts and with this I agree. Despite the greatly improved side imagery that the 3D transducer gives, I’m considering ditching it in favour of an LSS-2 or Totalscan transducer.
    My questions....

Are the down images (and presumably side images) from a Totalscan transducer (and LSS-2 transducer) compressed to the same extent as with the 3D, or are they “normal” like those from the LSS-1 ?

Also...Is there any improvement in side image quality with LSS-2 and Totalscan over LSS-1 ?
    Last edited by ukesox; 04-21-2018 at 03:04 PM.

2. BBC SPONSOR
    Following

3. Member
    I’ve found answers to my second question but surely someone can help me out with the image compression comparison between LSS-1, Totalscan and SS-3D ??

4. Member
    I have found that the side scan from my LSS3D is way better than my LSS-1. But the downscan is batter on my LSS-1 transducer. I use the LSS-3D on my console and have moved the LSS-1 to my trolling motor. It works out great.

5. Member
    Do you have any pics or links to other discussions on this? I was just about to order a Carbon 12 with StructureScan 3D but don't like the sound of this.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grits and gravy View Post
    I have found that the side scan from my LSS3D is way better than my LSS-1. But the downscan is batter on my LSS-1 transducer. I use the LSS-3D on my console and have moved the LSS-1 to my trolling motor. It works out great.
    Tend to agree, I have a Carbon 12/LSS-2 and while I like the Down Image my partner has a HDS 8 Gen1/Structure Scan/LSS-1 and can say it draws fish better with out of the box settings. Now Side Imaging no contest on the newer stuff

7. Member
    I think I’m going to do what Grit and Gravy did.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by contium View Post
    Do you have any pics or links to other discussions on this? I was just about to order a Carbon 12 with StructureScan 3D but don't like the sound of this.
    Sorry no pics or links. I wouldnt say that this would be an issue for most users but a personal preference having used an Gen-1 10 with LSS-1 for several years in shallow water before recently upgrading to a Gen-3 12 with 3D.
    Essentially, because they are compressed, the downscan images with 3D are exaggerated compared to those from LSS-1. As a result all gradients appear steeper. It’s probably something I just need to get accustomed to & I wouldn’t let it put you off the purchase.

What is evident is that although “fish reveal” may help to identify fish targets (too early to tell yet for me) actual downscan imagery from LSS-1 (at least in shallow water) is better than from 3D. However, sidescan imagery from 3D blows everything else from Lowrance away in terms of both clarity and range.

Its puzzling that in over 7 years the downscan technology hasnt improved whilst sidescan has moved on in leaps. Maybe this will be something that the power of the Carbons dual processors can take advantage of in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by ukesox View Post
    Sorry no pics or links. I wouldnt say that this would be an issue for most users but a personal preference having used an Gen-1 10 with LSS-1 for several years in shallow water before recently upgrading to a Gen-3 12 with 3D.
    Essentially, because they are compressed, the downscan images with 3D are exaggerated compared to those from LSS-1. As a result all gradients appear steeper. It’s probably something I just need to get accustomed to & I wouldn’t let it put you off the purchase.

What is evident is that although “fish reveal” may help to identify fish targets (too early to tell yet for me) actual downscan imagery from LSS-1 (at least in shallow water) is better than from 3D. However, sidescan imagery from 3D blows everything else from Lowrance away in terms of both clarity and range.

Its puzzling that in over 7 years the downscan technology hasnt improved whilst sidescan has moved on in leaps. Maybe this will be something that the power of the Carbons dual processors can take advantage of in the near future.
    I'm just spitballing here, but have you tried going into the menu on the 3D and adjusting the vertical enhancement? I'm not sure if that setting in the 3D view will affect the downscan view or not? Might be worth a try setting it to OFF though...

Waxy

10. Member
    Thanks Waxy...certainly worth a go next time I’m out on the water. Will feed back.

11. Member
    I have a Carbon 16 with 3D trans. Having the same problems, fish look like sticks or lines vs. cotton balls or dots. Have you been able to improve your fish image problem?
    Last edited by rick barham; 07-03-2020 at 11:39 AM.

12. Member
    I'm running Carbons front and back, with the LSS-1 transducer. Everything is great. Great images.

Ya, 3DSS would be better for side imaging, but I'm happy with what I'm getting.

13. Member
    LSS-1 is the only one that has true 800kHz DownScan -

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishton View Post
    LSS-1 is the only one that has true 800kHz DownScan -
    Dang.... I might go to the lss1!!!! That DS image is nice. I run carbons with lss2 and while I’ve been getting pretty good images , my DS isn’t as good as yours. I’ve been debating between SS3d, 2n1, or keeping lss2. Now I guess ill add The lss1 into the mix.

15. Member
    I’ve been away from this topic for a while now (just putting up with the compressed images of the 3D transducer).
    If it’s possible to run an Lss1 transducer with a Carbon can I run an Lss1 transducer with my Gen 3 12 ?