Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ccowan24 View Post
    Considering 2 boats. 2016 ranger rt 188 decked out to the max, or 2018 Crestliner vt18 decked out but not quite as much. the 2016 comes with motor warranty till 2023. opinions appreciated
    Unless there is a reason to do otherwise - like crappy dealer service or something important.. I would buy the Crestliner without hesitation. Crestliner makes a pretty good boat. My little Cherokee hull was made by them... I think I read firther down that the USED Ranger was 4K more....that's nuts.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

2. Banned
    No brainer......Crestliner

Quote Originally Posted by njpaulc View Post
    I don't own either one but that won't stop mefrom giving my opinion:

I would buy the Crestliner because:
    1) I get the new boat and motor warranty
    2) 9 hours, you got to finish breaking in the motor, might as well start with a new one
    3) I like the front deck storage better on the Crestliner
    4) Ranger forces you to buy a really tiny cruddy "rod storage" system that is foamed in and can't be removed and tells you they're doing you a favor because they're giving it to you for free, with Crestliner it's an option.
    5) Get the Crestliner without a trolling motor and without electronics and get what you want.
    I agree with buying the Crestliner ...BUT
    Personally one of the things I really like about my RT188 is the rod storage compartment ... Mine is sitting down at the lake behind my house right now with 12 rods in it and a rod locker bar across the top.... If you need more than 10-12 rods, maybe you should reevaluate your equipment needs. I think I could even get 4 more in there if needed. Even with those 12, I usually end up fishing with about 4-5.

When. I saw my first RT188, one of the things I really liked was the rod storage area. I have all these rods an still plenty of room on each side to store 8 Plano boxes in the SAME COMPARTMENT. When I fish Florida through the winter, I usually use/carry six rods and all my rods and my partner's rods fit in there when on the road. I carry more here because of the spinning equipment which I don't use in Florida and it all fits just fine and the tubes keep stuff nice and organized and untangled. I like it a lot.

There are some things I would change about the RT (it's not perfect), but I like the rod compartment as it is.....just my opinion though after fishing from it 12 months a year for the last 4.5 years.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Original Tin View Post
    You can do A LOT of "decking out" with $4K... A LOT.
    Can you? You can spend 4k on one 12” fish finder. Or say one shallow water anchor and a ultrex. Is just 1 or 2 upgrades A LOT? Say the dealer needs to sell the thing and the boat comes with all 3 of those things for only 4k more hell yeah its worth it. But if we dont know whats on it how can we sat if its worth it or not.
    2018 Ranger rt198p
    Evinrude E-TEC G2 150
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80
    Lowrance Elite Ti 12” - bow
    Lowrance Elite Ti2 12” - console

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevee k View Post
    Can you? You can spend 4k on one 12” fish finder. Or say one shallow water anchor and a ultrex. Is just 1 or 2 upgrades A LOT? Say the dealer needs to sell the thing and the boat comes with all 3 of those things for only 4k more hell yeah its worth it. But if we dont know whats on it how can we sat if its worth it or not.
    Hell yeah I could. Maybe you couldn't but I could make $4K go a LOOOOONG way. Looking for deals isn't your thing but don't tell me how far I could go on $4K...I'm a very thrifty consumer. Just cause you paid more doesn't mean you got better...just means you paid more.

6. Member
    been leaning toward the new crestliner. will probably go that route

7. Member
    I gave a hundred bucks for one of my HDS7’s. I paid 2200 for a new HDS12 with the LSS2 and mapping last time I bought one. I hear ya OT.

I might pay more for the used boat if it was a 4S and LOADED AND I tended to trade often. It’s alreasy taken it’s big depreciation. Pricing on used is normally more negotiable. Outside of that I’d just buy new. Plenty of good brands out there and yes a smart shopper can do well with 4K not paying MSRP for the latest thing.

8. Member
    I'm a very thrifty consumer.
    Oh i don’t doubt that you are. But the point is can we say spending the extra 4k is “justified” or not without knowing whats on the so called decked out boat.
    2018 Ranger rt198p
    Evinrude E-TEC G2 150
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80

9. Banned
    Oh i don’t doubt that you are. But the point is can we say spending the extra 4k is “justified” or not without knowing whats on the so called decked out boat.
    You're right and I can agree with that...especially if the boats were the same year...but paying $4K more for a tin that's 2 years older doesn't sit right with me. It would have to be one SERIOUSLY decked out tin to make me spend an extra $4K for a rig that's 2 years older. I'd rather buy new and rig the boat my way...might even save a few bucks. Plus now I have a new tin rigged the way I like it and not the way some dealer thought it should be.

** I love these kind of threads.
    Last edited by Original Tin; 04-21-2018 at 07:13 PM.

10. Member
    Agree to a point Steve, nor do we know exactly what the OP wants.

I would have loved to had an Ultrex. My budget and paid for was more important. Hopefully by time I can swing one they’ve come down. Whenever I buy I’ll look! I won’t pay MSRP unless I have too. Until then the digital 70 Maxxum will do. It came with one HDS7, I bought the LSS2 from a buddy that switched to HBird cheap, like real cheap LOL. The other HDS7 was 100.00 used. It was the dealer show demo boat with 4 hours. Perfect outside I would have ordered a F series Yamaha.

Knowing whats his perfect boat boat is my yardstick and why I always suggest buying there within your budgets first and brand name second.

11. Member
    I'd rather buy new and rig the boat my way...might even save a few bucks. Plus now I have a new tin rigged the way I like it and not the way some dealer thought it should be.

** I love these kind of threads.
    Exactly is it likely its worth the extra 4k. No. But ya never know crazey good deals pop up once in a blue moon. And i agree buying bare bones and making it yours is the way to go. Plus you get alllllll the warranty.
    2018 Ranger rt198p
    Evinrude E-TEC G2 150
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    I always suggest buying there within your budgets first and brand name second.
    Best advice. Having all the newest coolest stuff is great but if you dont have money left to put gas in the tank alll tht cool shit is useless
    2018 Ranger rt198p
    Evinrude E-TEC G2 150
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80

13. Banned
    Exactly is it likely its worth the extra 4k. No. But ya never know crazey good deals pop up once in a blue moon. And i agree buying bare bones and making it yours is the way to go. Plus you get alllllll the warranty.
    Funny thing is...my first two bass boats combined didn't cost $4K.

And I caught more/bigger fish back then than I do now fishing from a $40K rig!!!!

14. Member
    And I caught more/bigger fish back then than I do now fishing from a $40K rig!!!!
    Funny how tht works out isnt it.
    2018 Ranger rt198p
    Evinrude E-TEC G2 150
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80

15. Member
    Step up to the PT18 and be done with it...

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncbass View Post
    Step up to the PT18 and be done with it...
    I WOUJD JUMP SHIP ON THEM AND BUY A XPRESS.1.25 HULL AND BETTER PERFORMANCE

17. Member
    Yeah but I think it comes with a cover sporting the Ranger logo. It's really nice looking.
    Nope. It's a cheap cover they don't put their name on. I have the same one on my Triton 18TX and it ain't nothing to brag about.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post
    Nope. It's a cheap cover they don't put their name on. I have the same one on my Triton 18TX and it ain't nothing to brag about.
    Guess its more of a garage dust cover than a trailering cover.

Honestly you're probably better off having a custom one made out of a heavy-duty Sunbrella marine grade fabric...

It would look just as good and last forever.

19. Member
    I've been completely satisfied with my VT18...amazing boat for the money. I took the rod organizer stuff out of the center "rod locker" and put all my tackle in there. I've got about 15 combos in the passenger side locker and keep all my foul weather gear, safely gear and such in the driver side locker. Works great and keeps the boat better balanced when running since I usually fish by myself. I got my dealer to spring for the extra 3 years of warranty coverage when I bought mine last year, so I got 5 years on mine. I also got the 115 ProXs for almost no money in the deal...amazing little engine for sure! The difference between the RT188 locally and the VT18 I bought (both new) was over $6k out the door...just couldn't see it.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattVT18 View Post
    I've been completely satisfied with my VT18...amazing boat for the money. I took the rod organizer stuff out of the center "rod locker" and put all my tackle in there. I've got about 15 combos in the passenger side locker and keep all my foul weather gear, safely gear and such in the driver side locker. Works great and keeps the boat better balanced when running since I usually fish by myself. I got my dealer to spring for the extra 3 years of warranty coverage when I bought mine last year, so I got 5 years on mine. I also got the 115 ProXs for almost no money in the deal...amazing little engine for sure! The difference between the RT188 locally and the VT18 I bought (both new) was over $6k out the door...just couldn't see it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast