Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Settling accidents without insurance

Do you do it?

Long story short. This morning a young guy runs into the side of my truck on a motorcycle. No one was injured. He recently bought the bike, and all his riding gear looked like he took it out of the packaging this morning. He is taking a riding course at the community college and was practicing for his drivers test. He has no insurance on the bike and his car insurance company is one that caters to high risk and budget minded clients. Cop gave him 2 tickets for no motorcycle classification on his drivers license and no proof of insurance. He wants to pay out of pocket for the damages. I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a rear quarter panel and some paint and straightening to both doors on the drivers side.
    Part of me feels bad for the guy and part of me wants to stick it to him.

2. Banned
    and by young, I meant younger than me he was 40 and old enough to know better

In todays world...file a claim.

If he pays out of pocket and it gets taken care of to your satisfaction I guess it doesn't really matter whose pocket it comes out of. His or his insurance. Better than filing it on yours under the uninsured motorist part.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

5. Banned
    It's been reported to police, so he may have no option but to put it through insurance, and/or he may pay it out-of-pocket and still have his insurance rate go up because it's on record.
    I had a somewhat similar event last year with my 2 year old truck. The guy (young construction contractor) wanted to pay out-of-pocket due to already paying a high rate due to claims. I looked at my truck and said it will be close to 3k, but he said no problem. There were witnesses and I got all his info to fall back on, got a quote from the body shop for $2400 that day, and he showed up the following day with $2400 cash and an extra $200 for my trouble. Truck was fixed the following week.
    Keep in mind that I'm not one to sweat over stuff like that; stuff gets broke, stuff gets fixed.

6. Member
    No way you break even without an insurance claim. I feel ya for trying to be helpful and understanding, but this isnt the time. Youre gonna have a decent sized repair bill.
    UNLESS youre wealthy and can afford to take the chance.

7. Member
    The guy has already proven that he has little regard for established rules, and is with a budget/high risk insurance company.

That tells me that he probably can't be trusted to do what is in your best interest.

8. Member
    40 ain't young and maybe it's time he learned a grown up lesson, about personal responsibility.

9. Member
    No way would I do it you should go through insurance unless your willing to deal with the possibility of having to sue him and fix the truck on your dime. 40 isn't young.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

10. Member
    let the insurance company deal with it, just in case he claims he got hurt

I'd go the insurance route, then he is their problem and not yours.

12. Member
    No way would I trust him. Go through the insurance company.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

13. Im wishin I was fishin
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    I'd go the insurance route, then he is their problem and not yours.
    This at 40 he should know better I would be worried about coming back at me for his injuries.
    I'm guessing some ambulance chaser would try !

14. Member
    Go though the insurance company. I have no mercy for those who are "idiots".

15. Member
    Sounds like he is not ready for the driving test.

Wait a minute---- The OP stated "He has no insurance on the bike" His car insurance isn't going to cover it.

OP, get an estimate from a top notch shop, let the shop know the circumstances--- you won't be paying for a supplement if they missed something. It will be a CASH DEAL.

You have a meeting with evil Knievel and you have a witness present. You show him the estimate and whether he has to take a loan out or have the money in hand you want it in cash. Your options put a lien on everything he owns it cost you less than 25 bucks todo that. He can't sell or trade anything in with that lein.

Cash is King, and there is no other way

40 years old and still not responsible enough to have insurance? I would get an estimate and give him 2 days to come up with the cash. If he doesn’t meet that deadline, go through your insurance.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Get the truck looked at, get an estimate and if he wants to pay total cost then i would let him Sounds minor to me damage wise.

19. Member
    He appears not to have a very good track record, I would definitely go the insurance route. At 40 he is old enough to know the rules but does not adhere to them, can't feel sorry for him.
    Joefish
    2007 Ranger 178DVS
    Evinrude ETEC 150

<*)}}}><

when you say a "quarter panel" i think bed-half????mine was caved in, last one i had put on was over 3k, an uninsured deer ran into mine though

hope it goes good for you and the rider, glad no one was hurt, but IMO there is no excuse to not be insured
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast